• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 penny

4 posts in this topic

I have a 1973 penny I think has 2 errors on it was wondering if anyone could help I'm brand new to this I been looking at the liberty it looks like it's slanted when it goes to the e also the diameter of the penny is small then goes big back to small can anyone help me please and thank you 

IMG_20190612_203225.jpg

IMG_20190612_203327.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

Just a tip for the future......please post photos of coins right-side up......it's rather difficult to assess a coin with your head turned to the side.  As far as your coin, I don't see anything too unusual there.  The Liberty looks normal.  As far as the planchet goes, I've seen many cents with planchets that are a bit uneven like that before.  I guess this could qualify as an error, I don't think it's the kind of thing that would add any value to a coin.  I think it's within the realm of normal tolerance and is thusly worth face value.

As Mohawk stated, please crop and rotate your pictures in the future. My monitor is too big to try and turn sideways.

You do have one error on your coin. It is called a "Tilted Die Strike". It happens when the striking die is not set up properly and strikes the coin on a slight angle pushing the metal into the high side. 

4 hours ago, Greenstang said:

As Mohawk stated, please crop and rotate your pictures in the future. My monitor is too big to try and turn sideways.

You do have one error on your coin. It is called a "Tilted Die Strike". It happens when the striking die is not set up properly and strikes the coin on a slight angle pushing the metal into the high side. 

Ah, now that's interesting Greenstang.....I have never heard of a "Tilted Die Strike" before, but that makes all the sense in the world for what we're seeing here with the OPs coin.   This is why I love this place.....20 years in and I still learn stuff here all the time!