• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 steel magnetic penny 2.97g

1 post in this topic

I've run across a lot of steel pennies and all have weighed from 2.68g to 2.78g, some have been reprocessed and some not... I recently read about all the experimental metal combinations they tried in 1943 and was curious if the one I have here that weighs 2.97g and doesn't appear to be reprocessed and is magnetic, so it's not a copper planchet :( lol might be one of those experimental planchets being at this weight? I know the weight tolerance is around .1 to .13, I think, but this one is around .25 over. Have any of ya'll run across any that weigh this much over, in a steel cent? It might be common and I just haven't seen one til now :) These newer discoveries of different experimental planchets are pretty cool to learn about, it makes looking at steelies a little more interesting. One of the new ones weighs 2.70g and another 2.80g but this one would still be over, being it's not a copper... although I'm not sure which ones are magnetic and which ones are not. If I have gotten some facts wrong, please correct me so I wont go on thinking the wrong things. Thank you for looking and I appreciate any help and knowledge ya'll can pass on in this matter :)

1943w297.JPG

1943w297b.JPG