• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So where might a newbie find some legit undetected coin rolls?

24 posts in this topic

So I'm new to collecting however my grandfather did it for decades. I was wondering where I could find some legit undetected coin rolls to get a start or where my best place to start would be? I've started with coin hunting pocket change and have actually found quite a few decent condition coins. Even a few I want to submit for grading. I'm open to all advice and suggestions so drop some knowledge on me.

Before you head to your bank, ask them if their rolls are mint-new or circulated. You probably don't want to open up ten rolls of brand new 2019-D cents.

9 hours ago, JKK said:

Before you head to your bank, ask them if their rolls are mint-new or circulated. You probably don't want to open up ten rolls of brand new 2019-D cents.

Agreed.  I've had that happen before and it's not fun.  However, new quarters from this year may not be bad.....there's the W mint marked coins to look for in those.  I don't know what they're selling for now, but it's definitely more than a quarter.

I ended up finding a bank that hooked me up with 20$ in customer wrapped rolls today and in the last roll found a pretty decent 92 cam cent and a handful of wheats with an S wheat mixed in. Think its safe to say I've found a honey hole I'll be posting pics of some of the finds as soon as I can sort through the metric ton of bs zinc rotted garbage lol.

Edited by LukeMc311

3 hours ago, LukeMc311 said:

in the last roll found a pretty decent 92 cam cent

That would be a good one.  Any pictures?  That is a variety that is oftem claimed, but when pictures are shown is usually mis-identified.

The 79 d is not an error, just PSD

Also that 79 is a whole .4 grams heavier than any other 3.1 cent and it looks like it was struck brass it's definitely not copper or zinc.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:01 AM, JKK said:

Yeah I made that mistake on my first trip to my bank ended up with like 5 rolls of bu 2019 d's

Congratulations, the 1992 D is indeed a Close AM. (I find it a bit odd though the two sides do not show similar coloration, and obverse a little more worn than the reverse.)

2 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Congratulations, the 1992 D is indeed a Close AM. (I find it a bit odd though the two sides do not show similar coloration, and obverse a little more worn than the reverse.)

Finger prints I didn't have an gloves and put my thumb all up on the face not thinking it would do that. I don't wanna rub it and end up scratching it and I don't wanna clean it and make it worse so I guess I'm just stuck with it.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Does not appear to be the same coin.

What reason do I have to lie about it? Also the difference between a canon t5i and a lg g5 phone camera. It would be one thing if I was trying to sell it then yeah call me out all you want but I literally posted pictures because you asked.

6 hours ago, LukeMc311 said:

What reason do I have to lie about it? Also the difference between a canon t5i and a lg g5 phone camera. It would be one thing if I was trying to sell it then yeah call me out all you want but I literally posted pictures because you asked.

Calm down. All he said was that it does not appear to be the same coin. He did not say it wasn't. Doesn't look to me like the same coin either.

May not look the same but the greying is from the 2000 cents worth of dirt and grime on my thumb from sorting I don't wanna clean it cause i don't wanna f it up. Also I am calm its not like I told him to stfu or anything. Jeez.

3 hours ago, LukeMc311 said:

May not look the same but the greying is from the 2000 cents worth of dirt and grime on my thumb from sorting I don't wanna clean it cause i don't wanna f it up. Also I am calm its not like I told him to stfu or anything. Jeez.

In all fairness, your reply to Conder was pretty aggressive and confrontational, along with being very rude.  And, based on that, I think that's all I need to say to you going forward.  We already have enough of that BS here without your contribution.  Good luck with your collecting......if that's how you approach people who are trying to understand what you're saying and who are trying to teach you things, you're really going to need it.  Time to put you on ignore.

Edited by Mohawk

The first picture of the obv shows significant strike weakness in Lincolns hair below WE and the front hair curl.  The W in WE is well formed.  In the second picture the hair is fully struck, the W is weak especially at the bottom and it appears to be showing a die deterioration ridge beginning through IN GOD which is not present in the first picture.

Not saying you're lying, just explaining what I'm seeing.

Edited by Conder101

First thing in the morning I'll make sure to post a brand new freshly taken pair of photos. Just to make sure that I didn't get mixed up considering I had to take multiple photos to get good shots of the luster and the AM on the reverse. I did have to photo some others to see if it was a cam or not because I'm sure you guys can agree after going through enough coins your eyes don't wanna focus for mess. Not being aggressive since apparently I'm confrontational.  t(-_-)