• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not genuine?

9 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a group of coins for grading. One of them was a 1916 s eagle. It was returned as not genuine with no explanation. In comparing it with others both in hand and in books I can see no clue/hint as to why it received this no grade. Why can't a simple explanation be included with coins such as this? The local dealer had no idea either why it would not grade. His scale weighed it as 16 grams. Is it within the tolerance spectrum for these coins? Does that mean it is counterfeit or?????  I am truly puzzled by this turn of events. Any help is gratefully accepted. 

Edited by rons

Those photos are not that good... Either the photos are so bad they're preventing us from seeing most details on the coin or that coin has none of the fine detail on the obverse that it should have.

• Administrator

If a coin is labeled Not Genuine, it is most likely counterfeit. Counterfeiters will often create an altered coin with similar or exact specifications to mimic those of a genuine piece. In this case, the coin appears to have soft, mushy letters.

Thank you for your interest in NGC.   

Sorry but It's definitely a counterfeit. Beside the lack of detail, all you have to look at is the nose and the date.

Just noticed in your description you said the weight was 16g. That is too light. The weight should be between 16.68 &17.02g. There is only a tolerance of .02g on $10.00 Gold Eagles..

Edited by Greenstang
Added copy

I've had a gold coin come back as not genuine. After that I only buy coins that are in NGC holders. At least you got your coin back and hopefully it's made out of gold. Apparently there's a lot of fake gold coins out there on the market.