• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1986-D/S

6 posts in this topic

What do you experts think of this? Just appears to be D/S? I'd like your input. I know that this is not feasible just an oddity but I think that it is an interesting coin. I would like to clean to get a better view of it it but I'm afraid of what it may do to the coin. I was always told not to clean coins with anything.  

Tue May 28 07-24-37.jpg

IMG_20190529_063125576_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20190529_063105909.jpg

Appears to be the result of zinc rot and pareidolia.

And a D/S would pretty much be impossible because starting in 1985 the S mintmark was on the master dies (possibly on the master hub) so a die hubbed for a proof would have to get mixed in withthe blank dies and then the guy punching in the mintmarks would have to grab a die he expected to be blank, see that it already had a mintmark, and then decide to overpunch it anyway.  Not very likely.

Definitely looks altered anyway by the discoloration - by happenstance or on purpose

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Appears to be the result of zinc rot and pareidolia.

And a D/S would pretty much be impossible because starting in 1985 the S mintmark was on the master dies (possibly on the master hub) so a die hubbed for a proof would have to get mixed in withthe blank dies and then the guy punching in the mintmarks would have to grab a die he expected to be blank, see that it already had a mintmark, and then decide to overpunch it anyway.  Not very likely.

Agreed with all points made by Conder.

Thank you for the info. I didn't think it could be anything but needed your input. So it wouldn't hurt if I tried to clean it with acetone, am I correct? Thank you again.