• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1876 S trade dollar

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys...was finishing going through all the coins when I found this sitting a little bag! I put it into a flip already but am looking for what you think it’d grade as?

Also I found this 1988D half dollar and was seeing if this toned or not? I know it’s not worth much but it looks cool.

any info on either would be appreciated.

DEB80AD4-C808-4EA7-9C9E-536FC41479B9.jpeg

FBC572B5-CFF7-4AFA-9D10-0A3D0D047312.jpeg

Well...the 1988-D Kennedy Half certainly appears to be toned.  As for the Trade Dollar, I'm pretty sure it's a fake, likely a Chinese fake.  It just doesn't look right and it doesn't appear to be made of silver to my eye.  Here's our host's Coin Explorer page for the 1876-S Trade Dollar, so you can see what I mean:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/trade-dollars-1873-1885-pscid-48/1876-s-t1-ms-coinid-17043

So, the Trade Dollar wouldn't grade at all.

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that it has at least been of some help.

~Tom

1 minute ago, B.L.21 said:

Dang! Well atleast I know...thanks for the info!

No problem.....I just wish I could have given you better news.  Well, maybe next time!

I had the same thought about the trade dollar; color and surface just didn't look right. Might run a magnet over it--if it attracts, you'll have your answer. Of course, if it doesn't, that doesn't prove it authentic; but it has the same look as fakes of other China-circulated silver.

The Trade Dollar is a fake, as the others have pointed out. I won't give the most obvious tells, as I do not like to make it easy for the counterfeiters to improve their "skills", but if you study the picture that was linked by Tom carefully, you can see some very obvious differences.

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Well...the 1988-D Kennedy Half certainly appears to be toned.  As for the Trade Dollar, I'm pretty sure it's a fake, likely a Chinese fake.  It just doesn't look right and it doesn't appear to be made of silver to my eye.  Here's our host's Coin Explorer page for the 1876-S Trade Dollar, so you can see what I mean:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/trade-dollars-1873-1885-pscid-48/1876-s-t1-ms-coinid-17043

So, the Trade Dollar wouldn't grade at all.

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that it has at least been of some help.

~Tom

I thought the exact same thing about the Trade Dollar. Looks cast  to me.

1 hour ago, Mokiechan said:

I thought the exact same thing about the Trade Dollar. Looks cast  to me.

I was actually thinking that too, Mokie.  I can't tell you how many cast "white metal" Trades I saw when I working at the coin shop......I think there are likely more cast fake Trade Dollars in existence than genuine examples!

Edited by Mohawk

The trade is fake, but I would be surprised if it was cast.  Back in the 70's and 80's they were almost all cast, but since the early 2000's they have almost all been die struck fakes.