• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War nickels?

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Chat Board Chris-

Whenever posting pictures of coins, pleas post both sides. In this case we don't even know what MM those nickels are.

That being said, war nickels are pretty common and only if they are in high grades are they worth getting graded.

As yours  are circulated, it would cost way more in grading services than what they are worth.

Edited by Greenstang

I think Greenstang meant to say we don't even know the mints, but his points all remain valid. Plus, the first one isn't a war nickel in the usual US sense. Yes, the war was on by 1939 with engagement on all continents, but when we talk about US war nickels we are thinking of 35% silver nickels from 1942-45, easily identified by a great big mint mark (even P) above Monticello on the reverse. The first part of 1942 had the normal kind of nickels made of straight Cu/Ni and with a smaller mint mark to the building's right, and only if the coin was from a branch mint.

And since much of the easiest and clearest grading indicators are on the reverse, lacking that side basically means we can't answer detailed questions. The odds of better pictures of both sides turning up coins worth sending in to slab are just about zero.

23 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Thanks for catching my typo JKK. Don't know how I did that. 

Anyway, I corrected it on my post to avoid confusion.

Easiest one in the world to slip past, because it looks completely natural--the hardest kind to notice. Take my word for it that those give editors and proofreaders cold sweats.