• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955d weight 2.99g ??

11 posts in this topic

Average weight is 3.11 grams. Acceptable tolerance is .13 grams. 3.11 - .13 = 2.98. Your coin is just barely within tolerance for a Lincoln cent. So, it is normal, but only just - kind of like me.;)

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Average weight is 3.11 grams. Acceptable tolerance is .13 grams. 3.11 - .13 = 2.98. Your coin is just barely within tolerance for a Lincoln cent. So, it is normal, but only just - kind of like me.;)

I have to agree to disagree! Im stating it is a brass strike!

5 hours ago, Greenstang said:

How can you tell it's brass. Did you have it tested?

The only difference between brass and copper is the amount of zinc in the alloy which cannot be determined without testing.

Lincoln Cents are not just Copper, they are Bronze which is an alloy of Copper and Tin, Brass is Copper and Zinc, I Think.  Not counting Steel Cents and Shell Case Cents, of course.

The french bronze that the Lincolns are made from is 95% copper, 5% tin and zinc. there is no mandated percentage for the tin so it can vary from 2.5% down to just a trace and still be the legal composition.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The tin content typically was just 1%, and this was eliminated altogether 1944-46 and then permanently 1962-date. Since that time "bronze" cents are more accurately described as "brass," but the old term lingers for the 1962-82 cents.

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

The tin content typically was just 1%, and this was eliminated altogether 1944-46 and then permanently 1962-date. Since that time "bronze" cents are more accurately described as "brass," but the old term lingers for the 1962-82 cents.

Dwlang what’s your thoughts on this being it bounces between 2.8 grams and 2.9 grams