• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 penny double rim

5 posts in this topic

RRick W here, I don’t know much.  I stumbled up on this 1972 penny in good condition, with a double rim from “in” to Lincoln’s left-most point.  It is also off center, and I’m not sure if it’s a “cud” in the edge directly under Lincoln.  Memorial side is clear and centered.  Nothing else seems to be doubled or disfigured. Is this coin valuable? Is it worth spending 40 or $50 to get it graded?

C7DFE616-817F-4627-9B7E-0875C43D368F.jpeg

7E718A3B-683B-4A53-954E-324324738E55.jpeg

9195FD55-6E24-408B-A072-43CCBC7CF2FC.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. I don't think your coin is worth the expense of having it graded.  Those  off center strikes don't usually sell for much of a premium unless some of the lettering runs off the edge of the coin.

Nice luster, though. (thumbsu

It could also be a Misaligned Die. Without seeing the reverse, you can't tell if it is an Off Centre Strike or a MD.

In either case, there is not much of a premium as it is a minor error.

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

It could also be a Misaligned Die.

He said that the reverse is centered, so I think it is likely that you are right, and it was not struck off center.