• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help whole coin frosted has cartwheel luster nicely toned any idea on grade &variety I dont know what type of cam most used as I see alot of beautiful close clear shots than there's mine just a cell phone pic so I know they are not as clear clear as

13 posts in this topic

The photos are mostly clear enough. A little odd to put the whole text of your question as the thread title, but I guess it doesn't create a problem even if punctuation might be nice.

I don't know anything about 1964 quarter varieties. This one looks uncirculated, well struck, and nicely toned. The good news is I think MS-63 is very reasonable, maybe better. The bad news is that 1964 quarters are so common that MS-63 doesn't command much of a premium over, say, MS-60. But it's nice.

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I believe that is he longest title to a thread that I have ever seen.

Yep its a winnah

As stated above, it is a nice quarter. It appears to be a type B reverse. 

As for your pictures, often times a cell is fine. If you are not already, make sure you are setting the phone on something and not just holding it so you eliminate any shake. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, thisistheshow said:

As stated above, it is a nice quarter. It appears to be a type B reverse. 

As for your pictures, often times a cell is fine. If you are not already, make sure you are setting the phone on something and not just holding it so you eliminate any shake. 

The Op's 1964 quarter is not a Reverse B.  Here is a 1957 quarter, unattributed by NGC, with a Reverse B (cherrypicked off eBay.).  Notice the leaf in front of the arrow quiver protrudes above the arrows on the Reverse B.  In the Reverse B motto STATES there is a definite space between E and S that is not there on Reverse A coins.  Also the leaf above A in DOLLAR is much more pronounced than on typical Reverse A quarters.

DSCN2030.JPG

DSCN2022.JPG

I had to download both pics and blow them up side by side on my 40 inch high Def tv I use as a monitor to see what you were talking about (to be honest it still took a couple mins to see it).

The few seconds they look it's no surprise they didn't see it..

1 hour ago, Coin Cave said:

The Op's 1964 quarter is not a Reverse B.  Here is a 1957 quarter, unattributed by NGC, with a Reverse B (cherrypicked off eBay.).  Notice the leaf in front of the arrow quiver protrudes above the arrows on the Reverse B.  In the Reverse B motto STATES there is a definite space between E and S that is not there on Reverse A coins.  Also the leaf above A in DOLLAR is much more pronounced than on typical Reverse A quarters.

DSCN2030.JPG

DSCN2022.JPG

17 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

I had to download both pics and blow them up side by side on my 40 inch high Def tv I use as a monitor to see what you were talking about (to be honest it still took a couple mins to see it).

The few seconds they look it's no surprise they didn't see it..

I had to look at the OP's coin really close also when someone said it was a Reverse B.  I think the coin may be angled to try to bring out the toning.  That may be what is making the reverse look like a Reverse B. 

Also If you look at the tips of the arrows on both reverses you will notice the A reverse tips are split at the end.  The B reverse arrow tips come to a distinct point.  The leaf above the A in DOLLAR also touches the A on the Reverse B.  This Reverse B variety is common and easily found (1956-1964  Philly quarters).  A lot of the coins with this variety came from mint sets.  I found one in a 1963 mint set I bought.  1958 seems to be a good year where this variety is plentiful.  Or at least that is where I have found most of them.  I still don't have one for each year in mint state, but, I am on the hunt.  NGC will attribute Reverse B quarters.

Edited by Coin Cave
Hunting tips.

Photos were taken on a flat surface I'm not trying to bring out toning I don't know the difference from A or B reverse but I will definitely be pulling it back out&sending it in thanks for the valuable info 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, Coin Cave said:

DSCN2030.JPG

DSCN2022.JPG

I know this is a very late reply. I am just seeing this. My original observation about it being a type B was on my phone, and I admittedly should have looked closer. Seeing it on my PC today it is obviously not one. I am a little embarrassed, as type B reverse quarters are one of my favorite varieties in my favorite series. Anyways, thank you for posting that beautiful example so that everyone can see one. 

2 hours ago, thisistheshow said:

I know this is a very late reply. I am just seeing this. My original observation about it being a type B was on my phone, and I admittedly should have looked closer. Seeing it on my PC today it is obviously not one. I am a little embarrassed, as type B reverse quarters are one of my favorite varieties in my favorite series. Anyways, thank you for posting that beautiful example so that everyone can see one. 

Type B reverses are not always easy to see in pictures.  I had to look at your pic a couple times to make sure.  At first glance it does look like a Type B.  I have bought a couple from pictures I thought were Type B reverses and they were not.  It happens.  Still a nice quarter.  

Making up a Type B set is doable from cherrypicking raw coins.  Or even the occasional unattributed coin in some plastic.