• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 buffalo type 1 is it undervalued?

3 posts in this topic

I bought one a couple months ago for a type set.  I paid retail for mine.  Compared to a D or S minted Buffalo it is rather inexpensive.  I think since it was a first year issue and a first year design change a lot of people kept some for their collection.

PCGS MS65

DSCN1754.JPG

DSCN1757.JPG

Well, this is not my area of expertise, but I’ll share what I know. This was a first-year issue and like many first-year issues, they were hoarded. The Philadelphia mint struck over 30 million of these and a huge amount survived in mint state condition. With an ample supply and relatively little demand, the prices will remain low. This is a pretty common phenomenon. One would only need to look at the 1916 P mercury dime for another example with a similar fate. Now if for some reason the demand were to exceed the supply then the prices would likely increase. However, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen. That is not to say that it is not an interesting piece because it is. Just because something isn’t very valuable doesn’t mean it isn’t worth having. To any extent, you have a nice piece of well-preserved history.