• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper cent

11 posts in this topic

Hello to all collectors, I just pulled these two amazing Lincoln cents from a 5000ct Wheat  cent bag. I have just sent out to ngc yesterday afternoon. I was just curious of what you think this will come back on grade and value. Just want to thank you all in advance. Sincerely-Easy-collectible-Inc

701E44AF-0D47-4266-B6E7-9050BF016B2C.jpeg

Sorry to burst your bubble but neither one look like a 1943 copper cent.

Did you give the magnet test to the top one? It looks like some of the surface has been scraped off exposing the steel core.

The second one is copper but has been altered to look like a 3. See how close to the rim it is.

Being the sceptic that I am in matters such as this, I think they will come back as something other than a genuine mint error.

Normally when we don't have both sides of the coin, we can't say. I'd guess the steelie with the worn spots gets VF. The bronze cent below it, an abused 1949 by the look of it, will get a details grade but be described as damaged. Neither is a 1943 copper cent.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

Normally when we don't have both sides of the coin, we can't say. I'd guess the steelie with the worn spots gets VF. The bronze cent below it, an abused 1949 by the look of it, will get a details grade but be described as damaged. Neither is a 1943 copper cent.

You nailed it JKK, could not have provided a better answer if I tried.

9 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Did you give the magnet test to the top one? It looks like some of the surface has been scraped off exposing the steel core.

The second one is copper but has been altered to look like a 3. See how close to the rim it is.

Yes my fellow collector it’s damage due to Doubled die on a bronze planchette. Which had to be struck hard for steel planchette.. 💥💥💥

On 5/12/2019 at 8:35 AM, Greenstang said:

Ok except all the 3s all overall obverse?!?!?

On 5/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, JKK said:

Agreed on all points.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, Collector3745 said:

Hello to all collectors, I just pulled these two amazing Lincoln cents from a 5000ct Wheat  cent bag. I have just sent out to ngc yesterday afternoon. I was just curious of what you think this will come back on grade and value. Just want to thank you all in advance. Sincerely-Easy-collectible-Inc

image.jpg

Edited by Collector3745

On 5/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, Collector3745 said:

DF784640-625D-4178-8E06-CE5B84E58BB8.jpeg