• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can This Be Graded?

13 posts in this topic

Hi I found this Half dollar during my coin roll hunt for silver. Attached also photos for reference below. Is this coin damaged during the minting price or during circulation? Please help me what causes this marks and should I submit this for grading? Thanks

2EF61BEF-9092-433F-95C9-561FF758694B.jpeg

93455A60-B809-4308-951A-3CDED04E17CE.jpeg

Welcome to the Chat Board.

Your coin is not an error as it didn't happen during the striking of the coin

but environmentally damaged so would not be gradeable.

FYI-
It is not worth getting a coin graded unless it has a value of at least $150.00 

and what you have is only worth face value.

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Chat Board.

Your coin is not an error as it didn't happen during the striking of the coin

but environmentally damaged so would not be gradeable.

Agreed on all of these points.

Another one I found from roll hunting today. When I unwrapped the roll of nickels I saw white coin which is indication of silver, i said great I got 1 on this roll. But when I look to that particular coin it looks absolutely silver and it’s more thin than the other nickels. But to my surprise the year is 1977. Is it possible? Coin is already worn out and it is more thin than other coin but when I weigh still it’s 5.0g. Is this possible even not a transitional coin they struck on silver?

B274651E-E269-4350-900F-6C267CAE454F.jpeg

AE322A24-1A48-4812-AB69-0F276F5C62BF.jpeg

It looks like environmental damage to me or possibly the result of exposure to an acid or another chemical agent.  I'm certain it's not silver.....I'm unsure of how such a coin could even occur.  While there are 1977-D Washington Quarter and Eisenhower Dollar errors known in 40% silver, it's known exactly how they came into existence.  Based on what I read in Coins or CoinAge magazine years ago, in the 1970's, it was standard procedure for the San Francisco Mint to ship planchets that the workers there deemed unsuitable for proof coinage to the Denver Mint to be used for business strike coinage.  During 1975 and 1976, the San Francisco Mint struck 40% silver versions of the three denominations given Bicentennial makeovers ; the Washington Quarter, the Kennedy Half Dollar and the Eisenhower Dollar.  Of course, reject 40% silver planchets were not meant to be shipped to Denver for coinage, but some were by mistake.  However, this same kind of error would be impossible for a nickel as there were no silver planchets made for nickels in 1975, 1976 or 1977 and, in fact, no silver nickel planchets had been made since 1945.

mowhawk should i test it with silver acid to see if its silver? i dont want to damage this coin because its already badly damaged. it ,makes me wonder because its way thiner and worn down coin but still 5.0g. so strange.

5 minutes ago, Khandz said:

mowhawk should i test it with silver acid to see if its silver? i dont want to damage this coin because its already badly damaged. it ,makes me wonder because its way thiner and worn down coin but still 5.0g. so strange.

I honestly wouldn't bother testing it.  I'm certain it's not silver, for all of the reasons listed above.  But if you want to, it's up to you.

14 hours ago, Greenstang said:

It is not worth getting a coin graded unless it has a value of at least $150.00 

and what you have is only worth face value.

I've had coins graded worth less than 150.00, like some of my chopmarked coins.  I've done this mostly because I want uber protection of a coin that has some sentimental value.  But in general, if you are looking at it from a purely market standpoint, then150.00 is probably a good benchmark.

4 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

I've had coins graded worth less than 150.00, like some of my chopmarked coins.  I've done this mostly because I want uber protection of a coin that has some sentimental value.  But in general, if you are looking at it from a purely market standpoint, then150.00 is probably a good benchmark.

It's kind of like the same logic on commissions when trading securities. My own rule of thumb is, for commissionable trades, to stick to blocks of about $1000 or more, to dilute the $4.95 to about 0.5%. Probably some people consider that too high (and are richer than I am) and deal in blocks of $10,000 or more. Would $500 (1.0%) be too high? For some, not for others. But I think most people would agree that it's unwise to spend $4.95 to buy one share of stock at $25, paying thus 20% commission.

Of course, very few people collect stock shares as hobbies, so the analogy has limited utility, but the concept is the same: at what point does the coin's value dilute the cost of grading to an acceptable degree? In the cases like you describe, it isn't about value, but collecting enjoyment. In other cases, the question is at what point does the relative cost become less significant. Of course, if the slabbing adds market value, that's a lower bar to clear.

6 hours ago, JKK said:

In the cases like you describe, it isn't about value, but collecting enjoyment. In other cases, the question is at what point does the relative cost become less significant. Of course, if the slabbing adds market value, that's a lower bar to clear.

There might also be a gambling element involved.  You find yourself a new W quarter in the middle of a pristine roll and you think,  HMMM maybe a 68 or 69 here.  Dollar signs are floating above your head as you contemplate the difference between an ordinary W quarter at MS64 and your beautiful MS68. 

25 minutes ago, Mokiechan said:

There might also be a gambling element involved.  You find yourself a new W quarter in the middle of a pristine roll and you think,  HMMM maybe a 68 or 69 here.  Dollar signs are floating above your head as you contemplate the difference between an ordinary W quarter at MS64 and your beautiful MS68. 

I agree. I used to be that way with investing, too, and I think many people still are. For some reason, with coin slabbing, I got turned off it very early. I sat down with a friend who had just gotten back a bunch of Morgans and was eager to open them and see what he got. Half body bagged. And I guess I just looked at that and said, "Nope, not going there." And I know it's changed, but the reaction seems to endure. Kind of as if one took a bath on one's first investments and said, "Done with this kind. For good." Not entirely logical, I admit.