• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreign coin help

23 posts in this topic

Hi all, been looking but cannot find this exact coin anywhere. It’s German and a lot of other coins named closely to the same. Any help would be appreciated. 

89E91DBF-AD41-441B-87E2-13A99C1401FF.jpeg

Seems to be a silver commemorative celebrating a shooting competition. Definitely is not a business strike coin.

13 minutes ago, B.L.21 said:

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies...been going through a huge box of loose foreign coins.

By all means post any you have questions about. Some of us love that stuff and can point you to sites that will enable you to decipher more dates than you perhaps ever imagined you could.

33 minutes ago, JKK said:

By all means post any you have questions about. Some of us love that stuff and can point you to sites that will enable you to decipher more dates than you perhaps ever imagined you could.

Will be doing that..I’ve got (I think) some Egyptian coins, some Asian coins, and other what appear to be Arabic coins with no English on them thay I’m struggling with. 

1 hour ago, B.L.21 said:

Will be doing that..I’ve got (I think) some Egyptian coins, some Asian coins, and other what appear to be Arabic coins with no English on them thay I’m struggling with. 

No problem. We have people who can make out enough Arabic to help you. Coins in the Arabic alphabet can come from anywhere in or near the Islamic world, including the Ottoman Empire, Iran, south Asia, and the north and east African coasts. The Farsi variant of the alphabet includes three letters not found in the Arabic version, and its style (also found in south Asian coinage) is distinctive after a while. The best way I can describe the difference is that the swooshy parts tend to be angled.

Relatively modern Arabic--script coins that have one side seemingly saturated with what looks like a commingled mess of Arabic -script (it's writing, trust me), and not one character of English, often have the crossed scimitars and palm of Saudi Arabia and its predecessor states. That ought to help nail down a few of those.

Okay.....the picture on the top is very blurry, so I cannot tell you dates aside from the top coin which is a one year type, but I can tell you the coin types you have.  The top coin is indeed Egyptian.  It is an AH1413 (1992 Western) 10 Qirsh.  The other two are actually Sudanese 5 Milliemes, one appears to be of the bronze composition used from 1971 to 1973 and the other appears to be of the brass composition used between 1975 and 1980.  If you can get me better photos of the obverses (the side with the bird on it) that aren't blurry, I can tell you dates on them.

6 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Okay.....the picture on the top is very blurry, so I cannot tell you dates aside from the top coin which is a one year type, but I can tell you the coin types you have.  The top coin is indeed Egyptian.  It is an AH1413 (1992 Western) 10 Qirsh.  The other two are actually Sudanese 5 Milliemes, one appears to be of the bronze composition used from 1971 to 1973 and the other appears to be of the brass composition used between 1975 and 1980.  If you can get me better photos of the obverses (the side with the bird on it) that aren't blurry, I can tell you dates on them.

139BB805-94D6-4BE7-BC0C-59A42E94C041.jpeg

Excellent.  Thank you so much.  The first coin is from 1976 and the second is 1973. 

1976 and 1973 respectively on the two Sudanese, thanks to the better photos.

That blocky -script on the Egyptian reverse is called Kufic. You will see it now and then. It doesn't look as gracefully curvy as much Arabic -script, but it's words.

2 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Excellent.  Thank you so much.  The first coin is from 1976 and the second is 1973. 

Awesome, thanks! Sorry for the bad photos...trying to time the iPad auto focus...you guys are awesome 

Looks like a Syrian 1976 5 piastre coin. That's the Euphrates dam on the back. You'll see overlap between the two countries including, at one point as you may know, a temporary political union as the United Arab Republic.

I look them up in Krause (on CD, much easier than enormous print version) or on Numista. Numista rocks because it often has weights and diameters not found in Krause (otherwise known as The Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000 in this case's volume).

1 minute ago, JKK said:

Looks like a Syrian 1976 5 piastre coin. That's the Euphrates dam on the back. You'll see overlap between the two countries including, at one point as you may know, a temporary political union as the United Arab Republic.

I look them up in Krause (on CD, much easier than enormous print version) or on Numista. Numista rocks because it often has weights and diameters not found in Krause (otherwise known as The Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000 in this case's volume).

I'm using Numista for the types as well.  The dating, I just use my brain.  I can read Eastern Arabic numerals.

1 minute ago, Mohawk said:

I'm using Numista for the types as well.  The dating, I just use my brain.  I can read Eastern Arabic numerals.

It's probably time to mention, for the OP's benefit, that when there are two dates, one is probably AH or SH, referring to Islamic calendar years. So if there is only an AH date (these are in the 1300s AH), expect the Western date to be what, about 600 years later? It's not precise, since the AH (After Hejira) calendar is lunar. SH is Solar Hejira and I've mostly seen it on Persian coinage.

You might like a conversion table.

Also, know that the Arabic numerals have variants in Persian and south Asian rendering--notably the 4, 5, and 6. For example, the O shape that is an Arabic 5 is an upside-down heart shape in Persian usage.

Learning to spot the numbers is absolutely key, especially in north Indian princely states stuff. Also, remember that some dating relates to the year of a given reign rather than the calendar year (Ottoman dating works this way). Japanese dating is another example, at least during the modern era.

13 minutes ago, JKK said:

It's probably time to mention, for the OP's benefit, that when there are two dates, one is probably AH or SH, referring to Islamic calendar years. So if there is only an AH date (these are in the 1300s AH), expect the Western date to be what, about 600 years later? It's not precise, since the AH (After Hejira) calendar is lunar. SH is Solar Hejira and I've mostly seen it on Persian coinage.

You might like a conversion table.

Also, know that the Arabic numerals have variants in Persian and south Asian rendering--notably the 4, 5, and 6. For example, the O shape that is an Arabic 5 is an upside-down heart shape in Persian usage.

Learning to spot the numbers is absolutely key, especially in north Indian princely states stuff. Also, remember that some dating relates to the year of a given reign rather than the calendar year (Ottoman dating works this way). Japanese dating is another example, at least during the modern era.

Great, I bookmarked that conversion table. Again thank you guys for all your help, and being patient with me. I’m gonna try and figure out the rest before I have to post photos.

21 minutes ago, B.L.21 said:

Great, I bookmarked that conversion table. Again thank you guys for all your help, and being patient with me. I’m gonna try and figure out the rest before I have to post photos.

If only someone were in a position to send you a scanned image of a handy numbering system conversion table to assist in your research. If only you were to PM someone your email address to request it. Imagine how much simpler this number deciphering could be!

1 hour ago, JKK said:

If only someone were in a position to send you a scanned image of a handy numbering system conversion table to assist in your research. If only you were to PM someone your email address to request it. Imagine how much simpler this number deciphering could be!

Here's a table that may be of further help on Wikipedia of all places:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Arabic_numerals

It includes the Perso-Arabic and the Urdu variants as well as standard Eastern Arabic and Western Arabic numerals.  I should have thought to add this before, but sometimes I forget stuff.  I hope this is helpful to the OP and others on the boards!