• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Seated Liberty Quarter with NO Arrows, but has Rays

9 posts in this topic

I bought an 1853 seated liberty quarter at an auction and when I went to value the coin found that it was not represented.  it has no arrows on the date, but has the normal rays on the reverse side.  I was just wondering how I might value the coin when i doesn't fit the current images.

Welcome.

As far as I can determine, there were no pattern pieces or known dies that had rays on the reverse, but no arrows on the sides of the date on the obverse.  That  would imply either a damaged coin, grease-filled die, or fake as the most likely explanations that I can think of. Is there any way that you can post some clear pictures of the obverse and reverse of the coin?

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome.

As far as I can determine, there were no pattern pieces or known dies that had rays on the reverse, but no arrows on the sides of the date on the obverse.  That  would imply either a damaged coin, grease-filled die, or fake as the most likely explanations that I can think of. Is there any way that you can post some clear pictures of the obverse and reverse of the coin?

Agreed on the photos.  We really need photos to tell you anything.  Verbal and written descriptions alone are not helpful when it comes to discerning anything about coins. 

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I have seen altered pieces where someone removed the arrows trying to pass it as a no arrows coin.

Looks like altered arrows to me - I believe these are the pictures circulating around ..

1853_1.JPG

1853_2.JPG

I think the piece that jgrinz posted isn't an altered coin, I suspect it is a counterfeit.  Date size is too small.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:04 PM, Conder101 said:

I think the piece that jgrinz posted isn't an altered coin, I suspect it is a counterfeit.  Date size is too small.

Again this may not be the one circulating it is the only one I have found ...

I was questioning date too - Maybe the OP can let us know if this is it or POST the coin he is asking about