• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1981 S Quarter - Broken Mint Mark?

10 posts in this topic

Ok. Just started picking up some coins. Newer to collecting. But I have 2 versions of this quarter. But one looks to have an S over a different S. The other is clearly a Type 2 from my research. Can someone help me identify this other?

Picture_20193304043306.jpg

Picture_20193204043240.jpg

Could you please take a closeup photo of the MM with less glare?

It looks like it may be some sort of doubling but hard to tell from the photo supplied.

Yeah looks like a phone so a straight down picture on the mint mark with multiple light sources lighting the coin.

I can't help you with the photos provided either.  It's impossible to make any sense out of the mint marks from those photos. 

1 hour ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Interesting....which type is it....

With better pictures I could tell you for sure as I'm very familiar with the varieties.  Based on what I can discern from the photos as they stand now, I'm thinking Type 1 on both of them.  The 1981 S Type 2 mint mark has a fatter, chunkier appearance with really chunky serifs where the Type 1 is thinner and the shapes of the mint marks are actually pretty different.  Those S's look pretty thin and the serifs do not appear to be chunk nor overly pronounced based on what I can see.

Did you click on the photos?

It's not the size, I can increase the size on my tablet. It's the lighting that is obscuring the

details on the MM that is the problem. Looks like you may have only one light source that

is causing glare.

9 hours ago, Greenstang said:

It's not the size, I can increase the size on my tablet. It's the lighting that is obscuring the

details on the MM that is the problem. Looks like you may have only one light source that

is causing glare.

Agreed.  It's the glare that's the problem.  However, I can't really help too much as I've never taken a photo of a coin with a phone.  If the OP could cut the glare down, I think we could figure this thing out.

15 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Agreed.  It's the glare that's the problem.  However, I can't really help too much as I've never taken a photo of a coin with a phone.  If the OP could cut the glare down, I think we could figure this thing out.

After screwing with the picture it might be an RPM - Again with better picture comes better discussion ... :-)