• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever see a double dated quarter like this

9 posts in this topic

Hello Lyssa,

What you have there is a Bicentennial Washington Quarter.  These were minted in 1975 and 1976 to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of the American Declaration of Independence.  Hundreds of millions of these were struck and issued in those two years, but they were widely hoarded so you don't see them in circulation very often today, but they aren't rare.  However, if you get one with a D mint mark, there's a rare doubled die error for those you should always check your D mine bicentennial quarters.  However, the one you have is a Philly coin, so you don't have to check it and it's worth face value.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/quarters/washington-quarters-1932-1998/817186/

There are also Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollars and Eisenhower Dollars.  As these coin types really don't circulate, you likely won't find them in the normal course of circulation but the Bicentennial Halves are pretty easy to get from banks if you want one. 

I hope this is of some help!
~Tom

It was really cool when they came out. A massive big deal was made of the Bicentennial, with many states having special license plates. Colorado naturally went especially all out, being the Centennial State and what not. I always kind of wondered why they didn't do anything for the smaller change, at least the dime, but the Mint was not interested in my teen opinion.

I like it. Especially cause there is history behind it all makes it something great to me. Still trying to figure out if this 1943 metal Penny I have is an actual penny. 

41 minutes ago, Lyssa79 said:

I like it. Especially cause there is history behind it all makes it something great to me. Still trying to figure out if this 1943 metal Penny I have is an actual penny. 

If you love history, you have chosen the perfect hobby. Nicely done.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

If you love history, you have chosen the perfect hobby. Nicely done.

Absolutely.  You'll really enjoy coins with the outlook you've shown us.  Many collectors start because of a love of history, and in my experience those are the collectors that get the most enjoyment and who build the most interesting collections.

I am rather loving the history behind the coins. Just like I learned 1942-1945 Jefferson nickles were made with silver cause the nickled for use. 

2026 is coming fast, I wonder what kind of circulating commemoratives we will get for our 250th Birthday.  I understand from some folks in the know that 2026 coinage is already in the very very earliest discussion phase at the Mint.