• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980 Canada Penny error?

8 posts in this topic

Once again, this coin is not an error.  It has some sort of surface contaminant or environmental damage that is causing that coloration.  This kind of thing is pretty common on circulated cents from both Canada and the US.  Sorry again that the news wasn't better.

44 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Once again, this coin is not an error.  It has some sort of surface contaminant or environmental damage that is causing that coloration.  This kind of thing is pretty common on circulated cents from both Canada and the US.  Sorry again that the news wasn't better.

53 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Can I keep posting my “not error” coins ? Or are people going to get upset? I really thought they were errors🙁.  And the others I have been hoarding !!!   P.S...I am standing on the edge....keep shoving me Mohawk,,,,but I am not going to give 🤓

Karma1

In order for a coin to be an error, it has to happen during the striking of the coin at the Mint.

Anything after that is just damage, so coins with flattened letters, scratches, dings,

stains etc. are damage , not errors, so ask yourself when looking at a coin, is it 

possible for this damage to happen when the coin was being struck? If the answer is

no, then it is not an error.

1 hour ago, Karma1 said:

Can I keep posting my “not error” coins ? Or are people going to get upset? I really thought they were errors🙁.  And the others I have been hoarding !!!   P.S...I am standing on the edge....keep shoving me Mohawk,,,,but I am not going to give 🤓

As long as you keep asking questions with your inquiries and posting decent photos with them and are polite when replying to our replies, everything should be fine.  We're glad to help people who honestly want to learn and how are you going to learn if you don't ask questions?  Definitely keep asking questions.

Keep Hunting!

~Tom

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Karma1

In order for a coin to be an error, it has to happen during the striking of the coin at the Mint.

Anything after that is just damage, so coins with flattened letters, scratches, dings,

stains etc. are damage , not errors, so ask yourself when looking at a coin, is it 

possible for this damage to happen when the coin was being struck? If the answer is

That is an excellent way to evaluate your find.  On the ANA Board, a new member recently posted a Lincoln Cent/Mercury Dime magician coin and wondered if it was a mule.  Of course it was two headed, the dates were different, and you could clearly see the seam where the Lincoln was probably hollowed out and the Mercury was inserted.  Using your evaluation instructions, one would easily conclude that the aforementioned magician coin was not an error. 

18 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Karma1

Thank You for all of your help 🤓

20 hours ago, Karma1 said:

I think that stuff is nail polish. I know why someone would have painted quarters with nail polish in those days, but not a Canadian penny. Could be a teenage girl was bored one day.

No one's going to get upset if you post pictures and ask questions. I love helping people figure out what they've got. As time goes on, and you understand more about the coins, it'll show. The main thing, besides being willing to consider any outcome (which is a nice way of saying 'refraining from arguing with an answer one didn't want') is to keep learning, and to understand that error coins are generally rare. Most of the time, what you are seeing will not be an error. It's either normal, like the mint mark on your penny, or it's PMD. But we're glad to tell you.