• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 nickel no mint

6 posts in this topic

We cannot tell you anything without a photo.  Please post a photo if you would like us to help you.

Thanks for the photos.  Sadly, your nickel is just a plain old 1971 Philadelphia Mint circulation strike nickel that is worth five cents.  Until 1980, Philadelphia Mint coins did not have mint marks, so that's normal for them.  The 1971 nickel without the mint mark which is valuable is a proof strike.  These coins were struck at the San Francisco Mint, sealed in plastic holders with proof examples of the 1971 Lincoln Cent, Jefferson Nickel, Roosevelt Dime, Washington Quarter and Kennedy Half Dollar and sold to collectors at a premium.  All of these proof coins should have S mint marks but there were a few thousand 1971 proof nickels struck that were lacking the S mint mark.  Those are the valuable ones. 

Thank You for getting back to me !!!  And.......thank You for bursting my bubble,,,that I LIVE IN. I cried for a half of an hour. My husband and little boys,,,,just don’t get it. Thank You for your help on this one 🤓

27 minutes ago, Karma1 said:

Thank You for getting back to me !!!  And.......thank You for bursting my bubble,,,that I LIVE IN. I cried for a half of an hour. My husband and little boys,,,,just don’t get it. Thank You for your help on this one 🤓

I'm sorry that I dashed your hopes, I really am.  But the facts are what they are.  Don't let it get you down......just keep hunting!