• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow the Lead Picture Post-No US Coins

32 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

One thing I've noticed about the long running Follow the Lead Picture Post thread is that it has been largely taken over by US coins.  Due to the rules of the thread, it's pretty hard for us non-US coin guys to be able to jump in there.  This isn't the first numismatic thread where I've seen this happen, so I've decided to start a new Follow the Lead Picture Post which should hopefully avoid this pitfall and allow for a pretty cool gallery of coins from all over the world and from many different times.  So here are the rules:

You can reply with a coin of the same composition, from the same country, of the same date (or date range with ancients), or with the same person on the coin.

I'll start us off with my newest addition, a Roman Empire Silver Denarius from Empress Faustina II which was made between 161-164 CE.  To follow up, you can post any coin made of silver, any coin made by the Roman Empire, any coin made in that date range or any coin with Faustina II on it, just as long as it's not a US coin.  For the purposes of this thread, anything made by the United States Mint is not allowed so that the main purpose of this thread, to be a great display of non-US coins, is upheld.  Nothing against you US coin guys, mind you.  It's just too easy for threads to get hijacked by US coins and you guys already have a Follow the Lead thread.  Now, let's see those awesome World coins!!

FaustinaIIRIC517.jpg

World Coins of intricate design and/or historical background are a great interest of mine. A couple of years back when I started, I added these distinctive coins with appealing gilt motifs:

Aus_Rus_Bel.thumb.jpg.56b4bcbdf90a93827c004d0ef9801e12.jpg

1). Australian Dollar - 130th anniversary of the Melbourne Mint.

2). Russian 3 Ruble - 150th anniversary of the First Russian Stamp.

3). Belarus 10 Ruble -  Candlemas Celebration.

I love this idea! I always wondered why we did not have a follow the lead picture thread for world coins. Thank you for starting one Tom! This coin is fresh from NGC in an MS-64 holder. 

10.thumb.jpg.f9c31279cd82b447a4600fbd9ffbe947.jpg

174762945_1811BankofEngland18PenceArmoredBustNGCMS-64.thumb.jpg.42c3838b336bb8b2a37591e4ab93cc82.jpg

Here is the updated picture with the label. I have yet to figure out how to both capture the color of the coin and avoid the blemish from the slab. I am still using my iPhone for pictures and the new red phone is a little more reflective than the grey one I had earlier. I suppose I will have to find a way to adjust my setup to accommodate that. 

This is awesome!! Great coins, everyone!!  I cannot express how happy I am to see some participation on this thread.  And, since we're still on silver, here's another one from my collection to keep us moving:

image.thumb.png.5d51c8ff0af53c7836fa03d8e189ea0b.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

image.thumb.png.3b5a0e1ed929f0c48a480f3cc81141b8.png

This one keeps with both the British Empire/Commonwealth theme and the empress theme.....though a much more recent empress than my first one :)  Let's see if we can keep this thread going!

Let's give the copper guys a chance to jump in here

image.thumb.png.d24b596e5169fd01f3e4599a3c8bb76b.pngimage.thumb.png.c4a4f75669c2c683e5224a9789b2288d.png

Nice coin Tom! This one just came back in a fresh NGC MS-63 holder. I was really hoping for a star, but I will take what I can get. I will update the picture with the label when I get a spare minute. 

2.thumb.jpg.f1f678768aa301903e808a2d5b1f0d40.jpg

708276437_1806SOHOGreatBritianPennyNGCMS-63BN.thumb.jpg.6f51074d36f9835970d0c3304e77476b.jpg

Please see my previous comment about color in 1811 Bank of England 18p post.

That is a very impressive and beautiful coin Star City Homer! It makes me miss my Japanese copper collection. From what I remember that series can be difficult to track down with decent eye appeal. 

To add to the thread I have included a picture of my 1806 proof restrike halfpenny. This was my first purchase from Heritage not too long ago. 

322088109_1806DoubleletterProof.thumb.jpg.10fbcd15af51029272b7082ad99a179c.jpg

Very nice coins to both Don and Homer!  Now, I have to dig through my collection to find something copper to post up of a type that hasn't been shared yet (I'm something of a silver guy).  It may take me a bit, but I'm looking...maybe my Canada box will reveal something good. I'm so glad to see this post active though.  Great coins guys!

>You can reply with a coin of the same composition, from the same country, of the same date (or date range with ancients), or with the same person on the coin.<

That's a lot of rules (ha ha).  I can't participate until we get to France or Gold  :)

Nothing wrong with moderns.....not gold, but still France!!  Sorry for the old photos though.....judging by the background, they were taken before 2014, when I moved to where I live now.  I don't have that desk anymore.