• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any CSNS reports??? Wanted to attend - but can't

3 posts in this topic

I was there Thursday and Friday.  Had a pretty good time, caught up and visited with some collectors and dealers I've known for a long time.  Attended just about all the presentations and club meetings.  Beth Deishers talk on the counterfeit problem was quite interesting.  We all know the problem is bad but a couple of the cases she related were still shocking.  Such as a single confiscation of a shipment coming in that captured 22 TONS of counterfeit coins.  And another person they arrest with counterfeits that if marketed at their real value would have been 46 Million dollars.

I wlked the entire bourse floor, found it rather depressing.  Almost everything was slabbed, and since I don't buy slabbed coins there was little for me to look at.  I renewed a couple of club memberships and bought a book.  The only coin I managed to find was a common mid grade Conder token.  If it wasn't for visiting the people and the presentations I'd probably stop going to these shows.  Next weeks EAC convention should be better though.  I did see one piece I found interesting. The dealer described it as the worlds cheapest 1794 S-33, Fr-2 with choice smooth brown surfaces, and counterstamped twice on each side.  Only $6,000.  Would love to have it but $6K is out of my reach right now.

My father had a good time as well and came away with a modest pile of foreign currency.  Several years ago when it got to the point he was finding it difficult to find any of the coins we need he started a one per country currency set.  When we got down to the last seven or so countries he just started picking up any type that he didn't already have.  I think the collection is over 4000 notes now.