• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1951-D Wheat Penny DDR?

3 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I'm new here and I have a question for yall if yall don't mind. I did try to research myself, but I couldn't find anything online regarding my penny error.

I have a 1951-D Penny and it appears to have doubling on the reverse on the E. Pluribus Unum. The E, P, U,B,U,S and U,M seem to have doubling as well as the left side of the left wheat stalk. I tried to take photos but my camera is really weak at showing just how prominent the doubling appears to be. Can anyone Identify if it is doubling or just machine slipage? If it is doubling what do you think it would be valued at? Is it a rare error? I have a lot of wheats from other years, but the errors on those I've been able to find in my research. I have a 2nd 1951-D with slight doubling on the same areas but just on the 'bus'.

Any help identifying this would be awesome! Thank you!20190424_221328.thumb.jpg.077701c63a4538b808de33d91537e175.jpg

20190424_221311.jpg

Hello and Welcome,

Well, from what I see, the doubling you're seeing is machine doubling, which is a fairly common occurrence on US coins from the 1950's and 1960's in my experience.  Sadly, that kind of doubling adds no value to a coin.

I hope that helps!

~Tom

Yep, appears to be mechanical doubling. Not rare and does not command a premium (if anything, it might be a defect).