• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCS conservation

2 posts in this topic

Sent my first  bunch of coins in- new to this.  3 of the coins were recommended for NCS conservation by NGC, which I said "yes" to.  Those 3 coins all came back "UNC DETAILS CLEANED"  Is it normal to have coins recommended for conservation come back with the dreaded "cleaned" moniker?  Seemed to me to kind of defeat the purpose.  Also had an 1853 gold $1 come back as "Not Genuine".  That one surprised me as it's not a particularly high valued coin (so why would someone go to the trouble), and whoever counterfeited it sure fooled this guy.   Always appreciate advice.  

On 4/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, Swensworld said:

Is it normal to have coins recommended for conservation come back with the dreaded "cleaned" moniker? 

Can't really say if it is "normal", but they look at a coin and they believe that it would benefit from conservation.  SOMETIMES though the conservation revealed a problem such as an improper cleaning that was hidden by whatever was on the coin.  In that case they have no choice but to mark it "improperly cleaned .If the conservation revealed an improper cleaning they can't give it a straight grade simple;y because they conserved it.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, Swensworld said:

Also had an 1853 gold $1 come back as "Not Genuine".  That one surprised me as it's not a particularly high valued coin (so why would someone go to the trouble)

The Chinese have counterfeited  coins as low valued as late 1950's wheat cents.  That's right common wheats worth less than a $1.  so faking a gold dollar, even a common on is a no brainer.