• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965 Mexico 5 Centavos Coin

3 posts in this topic

I'm still trying to find out who can grade these as a variety coin or perhaps it is not even worth it. I do like the look of it, such great detail except for the S. I remember reading something about this but I can't find where. if anything Here is something nice to look at. Limited By the file size :(

A001 - 20190422_222728.png

Capture.PNG

I don't know how Mexico was making their dies at that time, but since it seems to be exactly the same on both S's and there seems to be no irregularity to the other lettering, I would suspect they used punches to creat a Master die and then used that to create working hubs and working dies.  If that is the case the S punch itself was defective.  I would try to check other pieces of the same date and surrounding dates to see if this is common to all of them.  I suspect you will find that it is.  If not then I'll have to re-think the matter.

17 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I don't know how Mexico was making their dies at that time, but since it seems to be exactly the same on both S's and there seems to be no irregularity to the other lettering, I would suspect they used punches to creat a Master die and then used that to create working hubs and working dies.  If that is the case the S punch itself was defective.  I would try to check other pieces of the same date and surrounding dates to see if this is common to all of them.  I suspect you will find that it is.  If not then I'll have to re-think the matter.

It is actually the same thing across all the three Ss, I just magnified 2. It does make sense what you are saying. I am doing more research on it and I will look at the others around the same date. Thank you for the information @Conder101