• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 d penny Planchet error?

8 posts in this topic

Only in the sense that they never should have used copper plated zinc.  You get breaks in the copper plating and the zinc planchet corrodes fairly rapidly.

28 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Only in the sense that they never should have used copper plated zinc.  You get breaks in the copper plating and the zinc planchet corrodes fairly rapidly.

Thank for your help. 

14 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Man, is that the truth!  Zinc is a horrible metal for coinage.....just the littlest bit of moisture and before you know it, you have a rotted, white crusty mess!

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Man, is that the truth!  Zinc is a horrible metal for coinage.....just the littlest bit of moisture and before you know it, you have a rotted, white crusty mess!

I had a hell of time just trying to reduce the impact of zinc corrosion on a bunch of WWI era coins. Lemon juice helped, but only up to a limited degree.

11 minutes ago, JKK said:

I had a hell of time just trying to reduce the impact of zinc corrosion on a bunch of WWI era coins. Lemon juice helped, but only up to a limited degree.

It's funny that you mention that Jonathan.  Years ago, I was experimenting with lemon juice myself on some World War I and immediate post-war Czech zinc coins.  The lemon juice did help some, but only up to a point.  From that experience, I've come to the conclusion that once zinc is trashed, it's pretty much trashed for good.  Which is sad.....there are some very interesting zinc coins out there.  Those Czech issues are only one of many.  I've seen some pretty sweet zinc German Notgeld issues as well, many of which are often plagued with zinc rot.  Bronze disease also makes me very sad :( 

4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

It's funny that you mention that Jonathan.  Years ago, I was experimenting with lemon juice myself on some World War I and immediate post-war Czech zinc coins.  The lemon juice did help some, but only up to a point.  From that experience, I've come to the conclusion that once zinc is trashed, it's pretty much trashed for good.  Which is sad.....there are some very interesting zinc coins out there.  Those Czech issues are only one of many.  I've seen some pretty sweet zinc German Notgeld issues as well, many of which are often plagued with zinc rot.  Bronze disease also makes me very sad :( 

I found a pretty good recipe for blowing bronze disease off a copper of Magnentius. Of course, the surface damage that was already done was still already done, but at least it no longer looked like a smurf had blown its nose on it.

37 minutes ago, JKK said:

I found a pretty good recipe for blowing bronze disease off a copper of Magnentius. Of course, the surface damage that was already done was still already done, but at least it no longer looked like a smurf had blown its nose on it.

If I start moving into Faustina the Younger's bronzes, you'll have to share that recipe with me!  I have a lot of silvers still to go but I won't lie.....I've thought about the bronzes......I could really start getting myself in trouble here!