• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1944S Walking Liberty Half Inverted Shifted Mint Mark

8 posts in this topic

Found what appears to be a inverted shifted right S mint mark. Placed one coin on top of the other to compare..  Any thoughts on this? 

20190408_200120.jpg

20190408_201129.jpg

20190408_201036.jpg

20190408_200201.jpg

20190408_200138.jpg

Errorist,

It's hard to tell from the photos you have posted of the one coin, they're quite blurry, but I don't think you have an inverted or shifted mint mark.  I think you have two different mint mark styles.  There were two different S mint marks used on Walking Liberty Halves in 1944.  Here's a link to them:

http://www.varietyvista.com/10 Walking Liberty Halves/San Francisco Mintmark Styles.htm

I think you have one coin which is the trumpet tail S and one which is the straight serif S.

Like I said, it's hard to tell with the blurry photos of the one mint mark, but that's my theory based on the available information.

Neat information there about the Trumpet Tail Mohawk. Didn't know that. The one that is closer to the design has me stumped.. It looks inverted and tilted to me.. I have both coins on top of one another in this image. Clearly one is further out in field the other..

20190408_200120.jpg

58 minutes ago, errorist said:

Neat information there about the Trumpet Tail Mohawk. Didn't know that. The one that is closer to the design has me stumped.. It looks inverted and tilted to me.. I have both coins on top of one another in this image. Clearly one is further out in field the other..

20190408_200120.jpg

Like I said before, I cannot really tell much from that photo of the top coins.....it's quite blurry.  If you could get a better photo, maybe I could tell you more but I've done all I can with that photo.

When you consider that the mint marks were punched into the working die by hand, using a punch and mallet, it is easy to imagine the occasional mark straying from its expected location. 

I can see where that would be possible, too, especially if the punch was not marked "This Side Up".

Claymore Anti-personel mines are marked "THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY." Sometimes, we need all the help we can get.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's the same mintmark punch in each photo. The one that appears odd just suffered some contact from another coin or some other object and was smeared a bit.