• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1948D Benjamin Franklin RPMM????

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That is just strike doubling, aka mechanical or machine doubling. It has not added value.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Since the mintmark was the only feature of the die punched into it rather than being part of the hub, it tended to have steeper sides that were more susceptible to being displaced as the dies withdrew from one another.

7 hours ago, DWLange said:

Since the mintmark was the only feature of the die punched into it rather than being part of the hub, it tended to have steeper sides that were more susceptible to being displaced as the dies withdrew from one another.

Could be but it looks like whoever punched the mint mark did it twice. The second strike wasn't quite over the first strike... 

4 hours ago, errorist said:

Could be but it looks like whoever punched the mint mark did it twice. The second strike wasn't quite over the first strike... 

If DWLange says it's strike doubling, I'd trust him.  He's the Research Director of NGC and one of the most knowledgeable people regarding coins you'll encounter anywhere.

15 hours ago, Mohawk said:

If DWLange says it's strike doubling, I'd trust him.  He's the Research Director of NGC and one of the most knowledgeable people regarding coins you'll encounter anywhere.

He said strike doubling?? I missed that..