• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about an SS Republic Slab

2 posts in this topic

Hi,  truth be told, I already called yesterday with this question but just wanted a fuller response, if that make sense.  The SS Republic Coin in question is an 1861-0, 1793475-037, which upon close examination shows the die marriage associated with minting under the CSA Government.  I was hoping to have this Half Dollar reslabbed to add the fact it was manufactured under CSA control.   I was told this was not possible since the coin had been in its slab beyond its statute of limitations? (or something like that).  Can you explain a bit more?  It seems like a simple enough request and, of course, I would pay for the service.  Thanks,  Malcolm

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0676.PNG

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC does attribute that variety as VP-001, but we make reference only to the speared bud. We do not allude to the CSA connection.

When NGC certified the many coins recovered from the steamer Central America we had an arrangement with salvor Odyssey Marine to attribute the Seated Liberty Halves more specifically, but this service was exclusive to that operation. For coins not so attributed at the time NGC now attributes only the varieties listed at our VarietyPlus website. The coin in the photo evidently was not attributed at the time, and the window for that exclusive service has indeed closed.