• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan Grading Questions

3 posts in this topic

I have spent the past 18 months really schooling myself on Morgan dollars and grading of them. I have 15 different date San Francisco, 1883-S forward raw uncirculated Morgans I have been acquiring the past nine months and I'm ready to send in for grading. 63's and up. They are nice coins.

1.) I'm sending them all in for the standard grading, what happens if some are above the $3k maximum? Am I then charged the $60 express fee?

2.) Should I send them in all together? Is there and advantage to doing so?

3.) They will be part of my private collection and I'm willing to have them all go through the conservation process knowing if conservation isn't necessary I won't be charged....correct?

4.) What advice do you think I should insure for? In the past I have just used the NGC price guide for what grade I thought it is. Is that sound?

5.) I have the $149 membership, should I upgrade to elite? 10% savings isn't that much to warrant differences in grading price. Thoughts?

Any other suggestions and tips are appreciated.

• Administrator

Dear Jazzbo,

1.) I'm sending them all in for the standard grading, what happens if some are above the $3k maximum? Am I then charged the $60 express fee?  If the coin has been undervalued, we will bump the charge to the next appropriate grading fee.

2.) Should I send them in all together? Is there and advantage to doing so? This will be entirely up to you.  If you send them at one time you may save on return shipping fees.

3.) They will be part of my private collection and I'm willing to have them all go through the conservation process knowing if conservation isn't necessary I won't be charged....correct? When our graders are grading the coins, they are automatically looking to see if coins would benefit NCS conservation.  If this would be the case, we would send you an email having the option to have them conserved.

4.) What advice do you think I should insure for? In the past I have just used the NGC price guide for what grade I thought it is. Is that sound?  You should use an amount that you are going to feel comfortable with.

5.) I have the $149 membership, should I upgrade to elite? 10% savings isn't that much to warrant differences in grading price. Thoughts?  If you are going to send a lot of coins,  you may want to consider upgrading to Elite.  You should do the math to see if it would benefit.  You always have the option to upgrade at any time.

Thank you,

Lisa