• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1996 and 1993 Double Die or just lamination issue?

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I posted this in the Newbie forum but I have not received an answer. I guess I should have posted here? 

I have several coins that I want to run by you guys, the first two are these, the 1993 and 1996, they both appear to have double die, but now I am thinking it is more of a die shift during the strike and some type of lamination issues. 

1993 DD 1C OBV.jpg

1993 DD 1C Rev.jpg

1996 DD 1C.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's just an illusion caused by displacement of the brass plating during striking. It's very common on Zincolns.

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

That's just an illusion caused by displacement of the brass plating during striking. It's very common on Zincolns.

Thank you for the information. I think I understand the difference between a double die error and die wear. I have saved several of these and I will go back and take a second look. I may save one or two like these, who knows, In time they may become a variety. :D Like in decades. Thanks again.