• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh, Some Place Special

6 posts in this topic

10 Reasons to Visit Pittsburgh for the National Money Show, 28-30 March 2019

1.  Pittsburgh has a small but robust downtown with lots of interesting museums in the cultural district, within walking distance of the convention center and convention hotel.
2.  Pittsburgh is rich in history and is the site of Fort Duquense/Fort Pitt, which were important locations before and during the French and Indian Wars.
3.  The Pittsburgh area is home to Fred Rodgers and Arnold Palmer who went to the same High School, at the same time, although in different grades.
4.  Pittsburgh has more bridges than anywhere else in America and also the steepest street in the western hemisphere, probably the 2nd steepest in the world. Try jogging up that street, I dare you.  It's named Canton Avenue in the Beechview neighborhood of Pittsburgh.
5. Pittsburgh is home to one of the most prestigious Universities in the United States, Carnegie-Mellon University. 
6. Pittsburgh is the starting point of the mighty Ohio River which flows from Point State Park all the way to the mightier Mississippi River.
7.  Pittsburghers have a distinct accent which is hard to describe but when you hear you will be charmed.
8.  Pittsburgh still has many ethnic neighborhoods, Italian, Polish, Greek, Slavic, etc. which make the city a cultural marvel.
9.  Pittsburgh has been immortalized in movies as Diverse as Dark Knight Rises, Flashdance, Jack Reacher, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Night of the Living Dead, to name just a few.
10.  Pittsburgh has a strong Numismatic community with many members of PAN and numerous other clubs in the area.  Most of us will be attending or volunteering at ANA, maybe we will meet.

I will be volunteering all day Saturday, Hope to see you there.

•  

Audi-Takeson-WorldsSteepestStreet.jpg

I wish I could attend!  I have a soft spot for the Pittsburgh area as it's where my mom was born and grew up.  Though she hasn't lived in the Pittsburgh area for many years, she still has a touch of the accent.  And it is charming.  If you were to dissect my weird accent (mostly Upstate NY and Central Valley California mixed), I'm sure there's a little Pittsburgh in the mix too!  After all, my mom was one of the people I would have mimicked to learn how to speak as a very young child.   I've visited the region many times in my life, and it is very charming!  Sadly, it's very hard to plan and make these kinds of trips when you're a doctoral student, which both my fiancee and I are at the present.  It's especially a bummer as I just got started with ancients recently...I'd love nothing more than to visit Pittsburgh again and see if I could hunt up any Roman Empress silvers!  I'll make it back someday!

16 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I wish I could attend!  I have a soft spot for the Pittsburgh area as it's where my mom was born and grew up.  Though she hasn't lived in the Pittsburgh area for many years, she still has a touch of the accent.  And it is charming.  If you were to dissect my weird accent (mostly Upstate NY and Central Valley California mixed), I'm sure there's a little Pittsburgh in the mix too!  After all, my mom was one of the people I would have mimicked to learn how to speak as a very young child.   I've visited the region many times in my life, and it is very charming!  Sadly, it's very hard to plan and make these kinds of trips when you're a doctoral student, which both my fiancee and I are at the present.  It's especially a bummer as I just got started with ancients recently...I'd love nothing more than to visit Pittsburgh again and see if I could hunt up any Roman Empress silvers!  I'll make it back someday!

The Worlds Fair of Money will be in Pittsburgh in 2020 so maybe you can make that. 

49 minutes ago, thisistheshow said:

I grew up near Boston, but went to school in PA for a few years and met some people from Pittsburgh. I have never been. Some day maybe. 

August 2020, Worlds Fair of Money, Be Here  (: