• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885 GSA help. Will this get the PL

5 posts in this topic

Well....it can be hard to tell for certain from photos, but based on what I'm seeing, I don't think it will.  It's a very nice coin, but it has a more satiny look to it than deep mirrored fields. 

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Well....it can be hard to tell for certain from photos, but based on what I'm seeing, I don't think it will.  It's a very nice coin, but it has a more satiny look to it than deep mirrored fields. 

Thanks I think you might’ve hit it spot onI think you might’ve hit it spot on. I got quite a few of them from a collection and   They have a Couple tricky ones in there That are close PL but Don’t think they are Don’t think they are

04ED37B0-B368-46A3-B589-1A38A99F232B.jpeg

It can be tough to get a PL.  I don't collect Morgans, but I used to work in a coin shop which sold them so I do have experience with them.  I know that with NGC and PL, close isn't good enough.  It needs to be fully mirrored fields with a certain degree of reflectivity.  I don't recall the exact degree of reflectivity needed right now (I last worked at the aforementioned coin shop in 2013), but hopefully another member can provide some insight there.  Basically, a good rule of thumb is if you think it just might pull a PL designation, then it probably won't.  If you have a coin that will, you'll definitely know it.