• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wide "AM " 1993 penny

8 posts in this topic

Good day,

I came across a 1993 Lincoln that appears to have a widely spaced "AM" and is red/brown to brown coloration. I know the different varieties available in this series but this is not one of them. Should I bother to send this coin in for examination? If so, how would I communicate my concern as to this conditional coin? The coin does have some wear as it was circulated, but not to the extent that most of the details are still visible on the obverse and reverse.

Thank you.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1993 cents normally have closely spaced letters AM. Here's a link to show the different reverse varieties for the series:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/Memorial Reverse Design Varieties.htm

If your coin doesn't match the illustration for 1993 cents then you may want to submit it.

Thank you for your response and the link. I have since gone to the location and it appears that this coin has the correct "FG" lettering fro the period, but the spacing is farther apart then shown. I have included two photo's of the coin in question. Any other information or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1993 Wide AM second shot.jpg

1993 reverse FG initials.jpg

@Leandria--Welcome to the NGC chat board. If you have a coin that you believe is a "Wide AM" for a year where these are unusual or unknown, please create a new topic about it, with clear, cropped photos of both sides of the coin.  Someone else's four-year-old topic won't get much attention. Before doing so, you may wish to look at the photos of close and wide AM varieties and the years for which they are recognized at Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).

On 3/23/2024 at 10:30 AM, Sevensteven said:

Hello I have one 1993 wide AM, can you please help me and see if it’s right and if it’s worth? Thank you 🙏🏻 

image.thumb.jpeg.d9da61180c75922b41653904016e750e.jpeg

image.jpeg

6BD22EA4-8D1B-40AD-B606-C5D3821E2A2A.jpeg

AF638467-D09D-409A-A3DF-B6DDE39E4747.jpeg

60BA5934-2473-4085-BF0F-E8FC874E35DC.jpeg

That’s a close AM.  Sorry, I see you are new here, welcome to the forum. In the future, questions like this will get more attention in the Newbie coin collecting questions section.

Edited by l.cutler

Welcome to the forum

What you have is a Close AM worth 1 cent.   
As mentioned, in the future post in the newbie forum.