• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I969s Doubled Die Obverse

6 posts in this topic

Spoiler

B|Hello collectors 3/4/2019 

well after almost two years of searching bu rolls for this coin it happened 2 years later on my birthday 3/4/19 I found the one I’ve been searching for all this time. 😱😇and it is just a beautiful coin. Look at that toneing and the doubling wow. Now I need all your help with thoughts on what it will grade at and the value.

19C1CD91-CA2C-4F24-AF0F-41F7CF94AC4E.jpeg

2C9346E1-51C7-4550-9D81-AF61175D8610.jpeg

This wouldn't be the same coin you posted in a different thread, would it? The one where Mohawk explained that it didn't look like a double die?

It doesn't look to me like a double die either. Not sure what it's worth; looks like an unc 69-S, whatever those go for. I suspect they are not rare. Coin World says $0.10.

Once again, not the 1969-S DDO.  To refresh your memory, here's some pics from our host's site:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/815704/

Since I've already explained this before, I won't repeat myself here.  But your coin is not it, and Bob is likely correct in the value.....about 10 cents.  1969 S cents are extremely common, even in Mint State grades as they and the other San Francisco Memorial Cents were heavily hoarded at the time of issue and for years afterward.

I forget when SF went over to proofs only. Last time wife and I were down there, we were staying not far from the old mint building. I assumed that it would now be or have some form of museum. No soap; nothing, just a rather magnificent old building with a very long staircase climb up to where a bum screamed a threat at me from the top. I informed him that, were he to attempt to carry out the threat, it would drastically reduce his quality of life. Happily, he saw reason.

11 minutes ago, JKK said:

I forget when SF went over to proofs only. Last time wife and I were down there, we were staying not far from the old mint building. I assumed that it would now be or have some form of museum. No soap; nothing, just a rather magnificent old building with a very long staircase climb up to where a bum screamed a threat at me from the top. I informed him that, were he to attempt to carry out the threat, it would drastically reduce his quality of life. Happily, he saw reason.

I believe it was 1975 aside from Susan B. Anthony Dollars, which San Fran made business strikes of in 1979, 1980 and 1981.  I, too, have been to the Old Mint building about 19 years ago when I was living in California.  When I was there, it was a locked but grand old building and the long staircase had bums all along it, accompanied by the wonderful aroma of urine on a hot California summer day.......ah, memories!  Thankfully, I wasn't threatened by any of the bums.  It sounds like you had the situation well in hand, though!

On 3/4/2019 at 7:33 PM, Collector3745 said:

well after almost two years of searching bu rolls for this coin it happened 2 years later on my birthday 3/4/19 I found the one I’ve been searching for all this time.

If you were searching for the major DDO, keep searching, this isn't it.