• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Low value grade?

12 posts in this topic

I'll be upgrading my membership in the near future and from what I understand,  you can use credits for submitting coins.  Correct me if I'm wrong,  please.  

This may seem silly, but I have a very low value foreign coin that I was thinking about getting graded just because it's just about perfect and it has great eye appeal.  I suppose I can just keep it in a round,  but I won't be spending much getting it graded. I checked the NGC website to see if they even grade these,  and they do,  but they're only worth $1.50 in MS63.  This makes it seem ridiculous to even want to grade,  and I've yet to see another one in a slab most likely for this reason.  The plastic is prob worth more. 

Do any of you have a graded coin with virtually no value?  

Thanks! 

I think this is really up to the individual collector. I personally submit what I like regardless of value. I have some early British copper that I have sent in that is likely worth less than the plastic, but I liked the coin enough to justify the grading cost. At the end of the day you are the one who has to be happy with your collection.

When this question is asked, most people answer that they have a minimum value in mind when considering whether or not to slab. But I agree with coinsandmedals. If a coin has value to your collection and you feel it will be safer or better presented in a slab, go ahead and do it.

46 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

I think this is really up to the individual collector. I personally submit what I like regardless of value. I have some early British copper that I have sent in that is likely worth less than the plastic, but I liked the coin enough to justify the grading cost. At the end of the day you are the one who has to be happy with your collection.

2 minutes ago, thisistheshow said:

When this question is asked, most people answer that they have a minimum value in mind when considering whether or not to slab. But I agree with coinsandmedals. If a coin has value to your collection and you feel it will be safer or better presented in a slab, go ahead and do it.

Perfect answer. Makes sense to me. I appreciate it 😁👍

I don't know how much it cost to have these graded, and I have no idea why someone would want to, but, if I listed them on ebay for $4.99 each, I doubt I would have any takers - even if I threw in free shipping.

1913340227_100_1685(2).JPG.188011a93f802debfe0c8fb966ec951e.JPG

2146276311_100_1686(2).JPG.915edae9014e6980959d663c518310a8.JPG

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I don't know how much it cost to have these graded, and I have no idea why someone would want to, but, if I listed them on ebay for $4.99 each, I doubt I would have any takers - even if I threw in free shipping.

1913340227_100_1685(2).JPG.188011a93f802debfe0c8fb966ec951e.JPG

2146276311_100_1686(2).JPG.915edae9014e6980959d663c518310a8.JPG

Wow lol.  I wonder how many people send in Alladin tokens 😂 Well,  at least what I was looking to send is an actual coin 👍 I'm going to for the heck of it.  I'll just use the credit to grade it just to see what happens and then there will be at least one slabbed and graded.  There may be,  but I haven't seen any.  

I may as well post it again.  I just fail the coin with phone pics

20190225_162352-01.jpeg

20190225_162250-01.jpeg

20190225_162146-01.jpeg

20190225_141644-01.jpeg

You definitely won't ever get your money back by selling it, but if you just happen to like it and want it in a slab, that's up to you.

1 minute ago, JKK said:

You definitely won't ever get your money back by selling it, but if you just happen to like it and want it in a slab, that's up to you.

For sure it wouldn't be for profit

On 2/27/2019 at 5:53 AM, BLive1972 said:

Do any of you have a graded coin with virtually no value?  

Thanks! 

No....

It costs roughly $60 to get a coin graded (+/- based on insurance value) and I would not waste that on a coin worth $1.50 unless it had great sentimental value and you wanted to preserve it in encapsulation.