• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carbon/black marks effect on grading (peace dollar)

2 posts in this topic

How much do marks like these effect the grade of coins? Will this coin even grade without details? 

Oh and would restoration from a 3rd party grader be of any use or worth the money? 

download (3).jpeg

download (4).jpeg

I don't know if it would slab/grade, but I think the weakness of strike is a bigger issue than the discoloration. The surfaces are mostly nice but the shallow rims are indicative that some of the highest detail simply was not there. I think that's the reason for the flatness on her temple/earlocks, not wear.

I have my doubts whether restoration would pay its way. It's not impossible but really depends how many notches it would push it up. If it went from AU-53 to AU-58...maybe a $20 gain in value. If it went from MS-60 to 63 (I don't see offhand that this would be too likely), that's more like a $90 gain--well worth considering. I think the strike keeps it from getting over 63 in any case.