• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1901 Indian Head

4 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, LPat said:

Was wondering is this worth submitting?

i read that it’s kind of rare to find one, so wanted to get someone’s thoughts?

34EF6BCC-09AE-4299-AC50-1251FB84869F.jpeg

3086053C-8CFF-4132-9CE1-586850E36301.jpeg

It is rare to find an Indian Cent outside if coin collecting circles. Ebay is one of those circles. Check the sold listings there to see where the market for them is. Grade is very important, it appears this one is damaged by the black paint like substance and then damaged again when someone tried to remove it. If you were to send it in to NGC for grading, it probably would come back ias ungradeable because of all that damage. If it did get a holder it would have a  details grade and be worth less than just the shipping. Ebay is great to see what market prices are. Look only at sold listings for a few weeks, you will be able to learn what condition of a coin brings what kind of money. 

Keep looking.

Thank You 😊 I thought the black “paint”  was possibly mold but paint makes since , the straight lines on it makes me think something heavy  may have been sitting on top of it for a long time.  Appreciate input.

Hello and Welcome!

What you have there is one of the most common dates for the Indian Cent series and it's heavily damaged.  It's rare to find them in circulation these days, but 1901 Indian Cents are extremely common.  If you ever visit a coin shop, most of them will have boxes of cheap Indian Cents and the 1901 is a date that pops up in those a lot.  Sending it to NGC would not be a good economic move as common Indian Cents in that condition are usually sold by dealers for 50 cents to a dollar.  It costs at least $20 to submit a coin of that age to NGC, and there's a $10 handling fee on top of that and shipping to and from NGC........see why this would be a bad venture from the money standpoint?

I hope this helps!

~Tom