• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2000 P Massachusetts State Quarter struck on experimental planchet for sale

3 posts in this topic

This is a pretty rare coin.  I have not had it graded yet because (again) I do not have the money to send it in.  Once my disability goes through, things will be different.  But I am offering this for sale on this website first because I know most of you are fellow coin lovers.  This is a clad quarter, except it's a different clad. 

Back in 1999 the Mint was experimenting with different alloys to try to come up with what is now the Sacajawea dollar.  This quarter was struck on one of the experimental planchets intended for a Sacajawea... or at least that's one theory.  Here is an article on Coin World where you can read all about the 1999 and 2000 experimental planchets.  

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/05/alloy-state-quarters-collectors-clearinghouse.all.html

So this is one of the only known examples of this error.   Also out of all the errors similar to this one, this is the only one with the year 2000.  The rest are dated 1999.   

I am accepting offers and I will consider all reasonable offers, however, please don't lowball me because I don't want to waist anyone's time.  

I am uploading a photo of the quarter next to a nickel and also a foreign coin that is gold colored, this way you can see the difference in the color a little better.  The gold colored coin is a 10 PFENNIG from 1981, just in case you need to know.  The quarter is beautiful.  At first glance, it looks stained or something, but when you closely inspect the coin,  you can tell it's the metal that is colored like this and it was not PMD.  I could really tell when I saw the edge of the coin.  

I am pretty sure I can accept paypal, but I would rather use Zelle so it goes straight to my bank.  Paypal has given me trouble in the past just because I live at the address where someone bad used to live.  That's my guess anyway.  I really have no idea why they gave me so much trouble. Everything is supposed to be cleared up but I still don't trust them! 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!   thank you for looking!  

20190224_203042.jpg

20190224_202638.jpg