• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1811 Half Cent

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an 1811 Half Cent in a cardboard and plastic holder. It was hand written EX. Fine corroded. I was told to get the coin graded, in which I signed up with NGC but am having problems with the form .  They require MSPF, im not sure how to answer this. They ask for the value and the minimum grade. Do I want the coin cleaned?  And any other information about grading, valuation and selling of my coins would be helpful.

Thank you,

IMN

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.7729206889534150e007fbe16c482a24.jpgIMG_1562.thumb.jpg.bff05c542f18816fe929c0e33a0958ed.jpgIMG_1568.thumb.jpg.80ee4bed1b7dbcf2f56371539847875c.jpg

As you probably know, this coin is uncommon. An undamaged EF lists for $4620 on Numismedia. VG lists for $700. Common half cents from this era do not command such prices, so I can see why you got the advice to have it graded. The EF details notion is not odd, except that a formal grade of EF requires not only this level of detail, but good surfaces with at least some remaining mint luster. This clearly lacks good surfaces or remaining mint luster.

That flip looks very elderly and probably contributes to the corrosion, or someday will, due to the flip's components. At a bare minimum I'd put it in a modern archival quality flip. The last thing it needs is to get worse.

The hows and wherefores of NGC grading, I know nothing about, sorry.

Hello and Welcome!

While I do not know much about old US copper, I do know a lot about submitting coins to NGC.  First off, the abbreviations are MS for "Mint State", which for the purposes of the NGC Submission Form means Business Strike.  Your coin is a business strike, so you'd choose MS.  As far as the value, I know nothing about that with that coin.  Like I said, old US copper is not an area I know much about, but I'd trust JKK on his values.  He's a knowledgeable guy.  When you say "Cleaned", I assume you mean NCS Conservation.  As your coin is already corroded, I don't think NCS could help it much as corrosion is permanent.  Nothing can remove it, even professional conservation.  The minimum grade on the NGC form is for crossovers from PCGS holdered coins or for Prescreens for Bulk Submissions.  Your coin is neither, so you don't have to worry about that.  Just leave it blank.  I think that should cover most of the issues you could encounter with the submission form, but if you have anymore questions, just ask.  I'd be glad to help.

Good Luck!
~Tom

5 hours ago, JKK said:

a modern archival quality flip

Thank you for your help. what do you mean by "a modern. archival flip"

NGC asks for a value, any suggestion of what I should enter?

Thanks gain,

I have other coins and some old paper money that I can use some help with.

Can you recommend an auction that I can use for sale

13 minutes ago, jimedean said:

Thank you for your help. what do you mean by "a modern. archival flip"

NGC asks for a value, any suggestion of what I should enter?

Thanks gain,

I have other coins and some old paper money that I can use some help with.

Can you recommend an auction that I can use for sale

I'd put it in a Saflip, which are little clear plastic coin holders. A lot of the coins you see at a coin shop for sale are in these. They are made from a plastic that is not supposed to deteriorate and harm your coins.

I honestly don't know what a value you should put on it. That, by the way, is at least a contributor to what NGC will charge you; no idea how that actually reconciles. If someone offered to sell that coin to me for $1000, I'm not sure I'd pay that based on the surface. I'd probably jump at $500. My gut says the VG price is probably pretty close. My gut could be wrong.

I can't recommend an auction site, but you're welcome to post your coins and currency for opinions. We love looking at such things. If you're looking for ID, such as with ancients or non-US stuff, weight and diameter are important in addition to sharp photos (those you supplied here were quite good in my view).