• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 Canadian Half Dollar Discovery Piece

12 posts in this topic

Discovered - by you (which is very cool, by the way) - in 2015, and given a new attribution by Paul, the 50 cent guru.

Has anyone found another one since then? Has it been added to the list of doubled halves? Did you ever send it off to have it graded?

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Discovered - by you (which is very cool, by the way) - in 2015, and given a new attribution by Paul, the 50 cent guru.

Has anyone found another one since then? Has it been added to the list of doubled halves? Did you ever send it off to have it graded?

As far as I know, no one has found another one . Paul said he was adding it to the list and that's the number he gave it . Ken Potter also seen it and talked to paul about it .

Here's my emails with paul .

Re: R444d9 question
You replied on Tue 8/30/2016 2:21 AM

Gloverpl@aol.com
Mon 1/18/2016 12:51 PM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the extra pictures... they verify that it is a new variety that I do not have.

I have had no luck finding one at the coin shows I have attended, so I'm still trying to find one.

Do you have the other nine 'R444d - R444d8 double punched behind the top loop of the 3'  per the file of the George VI major varieties that I sent to you.

Paul

Hello Paul, I didn't forget about you, But Ken still hasn't sent those image to me yet .

I did buy a new scope and here's some images from me .

If you need anymore images let me know .

Thanks again Paul for all your help too ......

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 08:10:02 -0500
Subject: Re: R444d9 question
To: coin.star@live.com

Hi Rick,

Glad everything went well. Looing forward to the pictures.

Hope Ken is feeling better, as he went through a rough spell over the last few years.

Paul 

Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:25:19 -0500

Hi Rick,

Thanks for keeping me in mind....

Have a good time at the show and hope that Ken gets good pictures of your coin. I have been in corespondence with Ken in the past.    Let me know how it goes.

Paul

He have are big ANA show this weekend .
Ken Potter going to take images and give it a coneca number too .
I'll tell you what it is when I find out .
Have a good Thanksgiving to Paul ......
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:08:21 -0400

OK Thnks, will ask coin collectors that I know in Quebec to be on the look out.. No guarantees, but it os someplace to start.....

Paul

I bought this coin from eBay and the seller is from Quebec, Canada . I sent a link a little bit ago, to the coin too ..

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:52:39 -0400
Subject: R444d9 question

Hi Rick,

Since shipments from the mint to  banks in WWII era  were about one dies output (around 20,000 coins), it was possible for all the coins from this die to ship to one location.  Just wondering what part of the country this coin is from if you can tell me??

Paul

Thats great !!!  Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate everything you've done ...
Thanks again .....

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 19:33:21 -0400
Subject: Re: 1943 3/3/3 Near Date Fifty Cent Piece

Hi Rick,

Compared it against ALL my 3/3s and could not come up with a definite match, as such I would have to say it is probably a new find.   The things that I can't match are the lowest tip of the 3 which appears to be doubled (none of mine have that) and the pattern of the die maks (the dot to the 1 and the 1 to the 9).  I would classify it as a R444d9 if it was in my collection.

Good for you, I will have to keep my eyes open try to find a matching one.

Paul

Very nice coin!! It's very cool that you're the one who discovered that error and, as far as I know as well, yours is still unique (I'm a Canadian coin guy).  I know that when I've been looking at George VI coins in my journeys, I've kept an eye out for one.....no luck.  Thanks for sharing that and it's cool to be "talking" to the person who discovered the 1943 Doubled 3 Half!

20 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Very nice coin!! It's very cool that you're the one who discovered that error and, as far as I know as well, yours is still unique (I'm a Canadian coin guy).  I know that when I've been looking at George VI coins in my journeys, I've kept an eye out for one.....no luck.  Thanks for sharing that and it's cool to be "talking" to the person who discovered the 1943 Doubled 3 Half!

Here's another coin I have to send in to . Not a new discovery, but quite the find . It's a 1893 Nickel . Buyer had no ideal what they had on their hands .

1s.jpg.2c9bc2e8cc0d372c2d21d7aad7a49daa.jpg2s.jpg.12932c533acca1948957559137b1f0b6.jpg3j.jpg.361897bd38308a65bdb72b83b141c09c.jpg3k.jpg.9bde0a90defa7376a5bb33befa077d90.jpg

3 minutes ago, stash-1 said:

Here's another coin I have to send in to . Not a new discovery, but quite the find . It's a 1893 Nickel . Buyer had no ideal what they had on their hands .

1s.jpg.2c9bc2e8cc0d372c2d21d7aad7a49daa.jpg2s.jpg.12932c533acca1948957559137b1f0b6.jpg3j.jpg.361897bd38308a65bdb72b83b141c09c.jpg3k.jpg.9bde0a90defa7376a5bb33befa077d90.jpg

WOW!......that's a Repunched 8, isn't it?  Killer find!!  It's amazing what you can find out there in Canadian......so many US dealers don't know about many of the good varieties in Canadian coins.  I'm still hoping that I'll find a 1966 Small Bead silver dollar hanging out somewhere.  No luck yet, but I keep looking :)

38 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

WOW!......that's a Repunched 8, isn't it?  Killer find!!  It's amazing what you can find out there in Canadian......so many US dealers don't know about many of the good varieties in Canadian coins.  I'm still hoping that I'll find a 1966 Small Bead silver dollar hanging out somewhere.  No luck yet, but I keep looking :)

It falls in the doubled 9 variety . I've memory serves me correctly, there's 6 different dies . 

8 minutes ago, stash-1 said:

It falls in the doubled 9 variety . I've memory serves me correctly, there's 6 different dies . 

Ahh, yes.  I see that now, too.  I got focused on the 8 because that one's a really big deal.  I'm not as informed on the doubled 9 variety, I must admit, as I am about the repunched 8.  I mostly focus in on the coins of George VI and later, with a particular focus on Elizabeth II Proof Like coinage, so that one's a little before what I specialize in. Once again though, very nice coin!

9 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Ahh, yes.  I see that now, too.  I got focused on the 8 because that one's a really big deal.  I'm not as informed on the doubled 9 variety, I must admit, as I am about the repunched 8, so I'm going to trust you on the 6 different die figure.  Once again, very nice coin!

I just got the Charlton Catalogue 64th Edition out . There's 9 different dies and this one is the third die . Obv. OF2, Rev. RF2 . 21 Leaves . Narrow Date, Repunched 1/1, Large 8/8 and 9/9 ( RP-1 ) .

1 minute ago, stash-1 said:

I just got the Charlton Catalogue 64th Edition out . There's 9 different dies and this one is the third die . Obv. OF2, Rev. RF2 . 21 Leaves . Narrow Date, Repunched 1/1, Large 8/8 and 9/9 ( RP-1 ) .

But I think that " 3 " re-punched to ..