• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1948 Wilhelmina 5¢ Tone q

8 posts in this topic

I'm just curious how this coin would tone like this. From what I understand,  it's all bronze,  yet tones like it has another metal mixed in.  Does anyone know a bit about these? Can we call it a woody?  🤔

20190212_083122-01.jpeg

20190212_083214-01.jpeg

If it is bronze, it does have another metal mixed with it, which is probably causing the toning pattern.

From thoughtco.com:

Bronze is one of the earliest metals known to man. It is defined as an alloy made of copper and another metal, usually tin. Compositions vary, but most modern bronze is 88% copper and 12% tin. Bronze may also contain manganese, aluminum, nickel, phosphorus, silicon, arsenic, or zinc.

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If it is bronze, it does have another metal mixed with it, which is probably causing the toning pattern.

From thoughtco.com:

Bronze is one of the earliest metals known to man. It is defined as an alloy made of copper and another metal, usually tin. Compositions vary, but most modern bronze is 88% copper and 12% tin. Bronze may also contain manganese, aluminum, nickel, phosphorus, silicon, arsenic, or zinc.

My bad. I should've done more research. This is my only bronze coin but I usually know better to research first.  Thanks Bob. 

Hi BLive 1972....

Now THAT is a coin that I dig all the way through!  I love many of the Dutch issues, and that one is no exception.  I've never seen one of those with that kind of toning pattern before.  I like it!

53 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Hi BLive 1972....

Now THAT is a coin that I dig all the way through!  I love many of the Dutch issues, and that one is no exception.  I've never seen one of those with that kind of toning pattern before.  I like it!

Thanks Tom.  It definitely stood out and my only Dutch coin 👍 

I'm sure you have your share of these too

20190207_134120-01.jpeg

Indeed I do, but no Woodys like yours!  That's a very, very sharp piece and a total ^^.  My 1858 is one of my favorite coins in my collection....I love the first Victoria head coins!  I absolutely LOVE that coin.  This is likely unsurprising but that's my favorite that you've shared yet!  I'll say it again, you have a great eye for toned coins.  Thanks for sharing that one!

6 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Indeed I do, but no Woodys like yours!  That's a very, very sharp piece and a total ^^.  My 1858 is one of my favorite coins in my collection....I love the first Victoria head coins!  I absolutely LOVE that coin.  This is likely unsurprising but that's my favorite that you've shared yet!  I'll say it again, you have a great eye for toned coins.  Thanks for sharing that one!

Thank you very much Tom 👍 Happy you enjoy like I do