• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1987 d plastic penny

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1987 d penny took it to a coin collector he can't tell what kind it is zinc or plastic. I have 2000 one dollar don't know is it a wounded eagle or cheerio dollar.. Can some one help me out 1549846908937-944310714.thumb.jpg.4a40b45dab99da1b222234d9a7e7ccce.jpg15498470368571806061827.thumb.jpg.31e95367d44e710b8b3891ce7c0b863c.jpg

Well, I can't tell anything about the cent due to the pictures.....they are way too blurry for me to even read the date, let alone anything else.  It does appear to be a weird color, but there are many causes for that so we'd really need better pictures of both the obverse and the reverse.  We can't really help out with coins without good, clear photographs.  The dollar appears to be of no special variety and it definitely commands no premium since it has a huge hole in it.  Just spend it.

I can't my grandmom left me thiscollection of coin and stamps.. I sent some picture to heritage auction and they email said they give Co sign of 5,000 to 10,000 a item.. They want me to get them grade it.. I got over 500 error coin I know cause she name them on the list.. She was retired bank teller.. My grand knew what she was doing.. So I'm keep them and grade them all.. Just want to show my family what grand was doing.. 

Well, it sounds like you've made your decision and know what you would like to do then.  Best of luck with your venture.  However, I have a very hard time believing that Heritage made you that kind of an offer based on the photos you posted and the coins you've posted.  The Sac dollar is definitely damaged.  It's only worth face value.  Heritage would know that and Heritage would never make an offer based on photos of the quality you've posted.  Just some advice......I don't mean this in a bad way, but being a bank teller does not make someone an expert on collectible coins and many people who come across damaged or otherwise strange looking coins over the course of jobs like being a bank teller set aside many of these coins that really aren't worth anything.  Let me tell you a story.  About 11 years ago, I worked with a lady who had worked cashiering jobs for years and had set aside a lot of coins she thought were "rare and valuable".  Over the course of talking with her as we worked in the same place, she found out that I had collected coins since 1999 and that I was well versed and knowledgeable on coins.  I had a good reference library, I had good relationships with most of the dealers in my area and I had learned a ton from those resources and by helping out in their shops when they had to go evaluate collections and other errands.  So, she asked me to look at her coins.  I told her that I would be pleased to do so.  When I looked at her collection, she had hundreds of Kennedy Half Dollars, several Eisenhower Dollars and an assortment of coins that she thought were errors.  Guess what?  The only coins in her collection that were worth anything over face were seven 40% silver Kennedy Half Dollars and two 90% silver Kennedy Half Dollars and those were only worth silver value.  The rest were all spending money.  She had worked in cash handling jobs for over 20 years and she thought that she had snagged rare and valuable coins over that time, but she had not.  Yes, they were different than what you saw everyday, but not valuable.  Now, I don't know everything that you have but if the rest of it is of the caliber of the coins in the pictures you've posted, it's likely a similar situation.

U might be rite.. Am very new to this.. But I took a close look at a lot of them there not rite.. Got thing missing and a lot penny with full rainbow color.. Half dates missing and real noticeable doubling. Thicker rims.. And I think that gold coin was made like that.. Am put up a better picture got get a new phone.. Just getting off the water.. Will be back with better picture. . And thanks for your help.. 

What that means is that they will only accept your coins for inclusion in their auction if you have coins totaling at least five thousand dollars. (The minimum value could possibly be higher,up to $10K,  depending on the type(s) of coins that your are consigning.) In simple terms, unless you have some pretty valuable coins, Heritage will not accept them for their auction - generally speaking.

It does not mean that your coins are worth that much. The two that you pictured are one dollar and one cent. The cent is just stained, and the dollar was drilled (damaged) after it left the mint. Sorry.

I do think it is cool that your  grandmother left you some coins. Good luck hunting through them.:smile: