• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is fun!

4 posts in this topic

I grew up watching my Dad collect coins and thought it was cool, but never really did any myself. Today, just cruising through a bucket of circulated coins I've found a 1938 nickel, a 1939 nickel and 2 1940 nickels! Hitler hadn't even invaded Poland yet in 1938.

Amazing to think these coins have been circulating for the last 79, 80 and 81 years.

1938nickels.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

Yeah, there's some pretty old Jeffersons still cruising around in circulation out there.  It's fun to find them.  My favorite circulation finds with the 5 cent denomination are when I find any of the pure nickel 5 cents from Canada.  The oldest one of those I've found is a 1939.  Did you check your Jeffersons for mint marks?  They'd be on the reverse side beside the Monticello.  If your 1939 has a D, it's worth a few dollars.  Your 1938 is in pretty decent shape also.  Nice finds!