• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please indentifying ancient coins: 8 of 8

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

As a complete newbie, I would really appreciate any help identifying this coin.  There are 8 in total, separate emails.

COIN #8

This one is (in millimeters):

Longest axis:      26.8     

90° away:           26.35

Thickness:          1.0

My scales aren’t accurate enough to weigh it with any degree of certainty, but I’d guess ~ 2-3 grams but this could be way wrong.

The metal appears to be gold but is very light.  I would have expected gold, even this thin, to be a bit heavier.  And yes, it

looks like it has been stabbed through with a knife or something similar.

2019-2-8 14-52-4.jpg

2019-2-8 14-51-48.jpg

After a couple hours of shoveling through references, I find myself stumped. The problem is that, since I can't read most of the legendry, I'm looking for something with the equal-armed cross of Spain or Portugal on one side, and four fleurs-de-lis in a diamond on the other. I did not find it in French, Spanish Netherlands, or Catalan coinages. So I too would like to know what the heck this is.

18 hours ago, JKK said:

After a couple hours of shoveling through references, I find myself stumped. The problem is that, since I can't read most of the legendry, I'm looking for something with the equal-armed cross of Spain or Portugal on one side, and four fleurs-de-lis in a diamond on the other. I did not find it in French, Spanish Netherlands, or Catalan coinages. So I too would like to know what the heck this is.

It will probably turn out to be a coat button from 1985);

I have a friend who works in a university, and I had no idea one of the toys at his disposal in the department is a scanning electron microscope amongst other fancy pieces of gear.   With a little luck, I'll have some idea metals are in this piece/token/coin/whatever sometime tomorrow afternoon.