• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please indentifying ancient coins: 4 of 8

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

As a complete newbie, I would really appreciate any help identifying this coin.  There are 8 in total, separate emails.

COIN #4

This one is (in millimeters):

Longest axis:      18.7

90° away:           18.3

Thickness:          1.5

My scales aren’t accurate enough to weigh it with any degree of certainty, but I’d guess ~4-5 grams but this could be way wrong.

The metal appears to be

silver.

2019-2-8 14-49-55.jpg

2019-2-8 14-49-44.jpg

Now stuff gets real. The first three were pretty common. This much less so.

This might on the surface appear to be Greek, but the four-horsed chariot is not something my references show ever to have been a Greek reverse type. It was, however, known in the Roman Republic. We can read the GRAG, that's moneyer L. Antestius Gragulus. The starlike symbol may represent XVI, but it means a denarius (standard silver coin, on which the modern-day words 'dinar' (former Yugoslav, Iraqi, etc.) and 'dinero' are based.

Pretty sure it's Sear 115, 136 BC. Here's a Numista link to images of a much nicer one, but I'll paste all the description: 

==

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma right; mark of value XVI in monogram (Ӿ) below chin.
Part of moneyer mark behind.

Lettering: GRAG Ӿ

Translation: Gragulus

Reverse: Jupiter in quadriga galloping right, holding sceptre and reins in left hand and hurling thunderbolt with right hand.
Part of moneyer mark in field under horses with ANTE in monogram. ROMA in exergue.

Lettering: L•ANTES ROMA

Translation: Lucius Antestius

Edge: Smooth

Comments: This appears to be one of the first use of the XVI monogram (Ӿ) to mark denarius coins.

==

People are trying to get $120 for moderately nice ones on Ebay. Yours has had a rougher time. If I were retailing it I'd put it out for $80 and get it. If I were buying it I'd try to buy it for $60.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, JKK said:

Now stuff gets real. The first three were pretty common. This much less so.

This might on the surface appear to be Greek, but the four-horsed chariot is not something my references show ever to have been a Greek reverse type. It was, however, known in the Roman Republic. We can read the GRAG, that's moneyer L. Antestius Gragulus. The starlike symbol may represent XVI, but it means a denarius (standard silver coin, on which the modern-day words 'dinar' (former Yugoslav, Iraqi, etc.) and 'dinero' are based.

Pretty sure it's Sear 115, 136 BC. Here's a Numista link to images of a much nicer one, but I'll paste all the description: 

==

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma right; mark of value XVI in monogram (Ӿ) below chin.
Part of moneyer mark behind.

Lettering: GRAG Ӿ

Translation: Gragulus

Reverse: Jupiter in quadriga galloping right, holding sceptre and reins in left hand and hurling thunderbolt with right hand.
Part of moneyer mark in field under horses with ANTE in monogram. ROMA in exergue.

Lettering: L•ANTES ROMA

Translation: Lucius Antestius

Edge: Smooth

Comments: This appears to be one of the first use of the XVI monogram (Ӿ) to mark denarius coins.

==

People are trying to get $120 for moderately nice ones on Ebay. Yours has had a rougher time. If I were retailing it I'd put it out for $80 and get it. If I were buying it I'd try to buy it for $60.

Thank you, JKK.  Does the apparent counterstamp on mine (Gragulus's cheek, and a letter below) either help or hinder in terms of either general interests or value?

The image is not Gragulus; he's just the moneyer, who would receive a big bohica if he failed to maintain standards. My sense is that the countermark adds some interest and helps shade the impression toward authenticity.