• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please indentifying ancient coins: 2 of 8

6 posts in this topic

As a complete newbie, I would really appreciate any help identifying this coin.  There are 8 in total, separate emails.

COIN #2

This one is (in millimeters):

Longest axis:      17.1

90° away:           16.2

Thickness:          1.6

My scales aren’t accurate enough to weigh it with any degree of certainty, but I’d guess ~2-3 grams which could be way wrong.

The metal appears to be bronze.  Around 300AD, Emperor Constantine, perhaps?

2019-2-8 14-48-8.jpg

2019-2-8 14-47-50.jpg

2019-2-8 14-48-1.jpg

I have to say, you did a comprehensive job putting these together. Nicely done.

This one looks much like the previous issue, but is a different emperor. I think it's Constantius II as Caesar; Bust is probably diademed, draped and cuirassed right. However, that also might be laureate. OL looks like FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C. RL looks problematic, but reverse type is again two soldiers with spear and shield, two kebabs, which makes the RL possibilities drop like one of Tiberius's hapless toys at Caprae. That's how this game works: nail down at least two of the five with certainty, which limits what the rest can be. Again an AE3. GLORIA EXERCITVS is almost certainly the RL because two soldier and two kebab coins always had this militaristic propaganda. Again I'm having a rough time with the Ex., but maybe you'll get inspirations by feeding the legends to Wildwinds.

8 hours ago, JKK said:

I have to say, you did a comprehensive job putting these together. Nicely done.

This one looks much like the previous issue, but is a different emperor. I think it's Constantius II as Caesar; Bust is probably diademed, draped and cuirassed right. However, that also might be laureate. OL looks like FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C. RL looks problematic, but reverse type is again two soldiers with spear and shield, two kebabs, which makes the RL possibilities drop like one of Tiberius's hapless toys at Caprae. That's how this game works: nail down at least two of the five with certainty, which limits what the rest can be. Again an AE3. GLORIA EXERCITVS is almost certainly the RL because two soldier and two kebab coins always had this militaristic propaganda. Again I'm having a rough time with the Ex., but maybe you'll get inspirations by feeding the legends to Wildwinds.

Thank you -it only took a few minutes with a steadied cel phone with a couple of lights, and a few moments with a caliper - followed by who knows how long to determine what all these are!

When I read your comments, I realize that I am so far out of my depth with that it isn't funny.  There is evidently a level of expertise to which I can only aspire, and I'm sure there are many experts on the site.

Is there anywhere that I could send these off to for a formal identification/evaluation?  If yes, is it very expensive?  I'd certainly like to identify these coins, and if by some chance one is worth something of note, I'd sell it.  The information I have learned from you is fascinating and I've spent most of my afternoon lost on the internet reading about Roman emperors.  A lot like being back in school but infinitely more purposeful, more specific.  Certainly more useful than translating from the Latin into English, "Lo, the postillion has been struck by lightning", 

If any of them should be sent in, I'll be sure to tell you. I'm not sure how precisely this one can be identified but whatever anyone would charge you for it, you'd probably be paying too much because these are common. I could narrow it down a little more if I wanted to fuss through hundreds of listings just to get the exact right version of Victoria, but without being able to read the exergue--or even get a good hint at it--it's tough.

By the way, the praise for the photography is not merely for the quality, but for the respect it shows for our time and knowledge. Most people who post for the first time post just one side, or post a coin picture without a question, or don't include the physical information, or otherwise fail to simply provide the information we need. It's like they want to get by as lazily as possible, even if that makes them harder to help. It's very, very rare to say to someone: to do this well, I need this, and receive it immediately. Even if working with ancient coins were not one of the most fascinating, challenging, and rewarding intellectual tasks in my world, I'd be motivated to keep at this because I asked, you provided, and now it's a duty. When I ask, I do not normally anticipate I will get; it's a good way to separate the serious from the don't-really-care.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, JKK said:

If any of them should be sent in, I'll be sure to tell you. I'm not sure how precisely this one can be identified but whatever anyone would charge you for it, you'd probably be paying too much because these are common. I could narrow it down a little more if I wanted to fuss through hundreds of listings just to get the exact right version of Victoria, but without being able to read the exergue--or even get a good hint at it--it's tough.

By the way, the praise for the photography is not merely for the quality, but for the respect it shows for our time and knowledge. Most people who post for the first time post just one side, or post a coin picture without a question, or don't include the physical information, or otherwise fail to simply provide the information we need. It's like they want to get by as lazily as possible, even if that makes them harder to help. It's very, very rare to say to someone: to do this well, I need this, and receive it immediately. Even if working with ancient coins were not one of the most fascinating, challenging, and rewarding intellectual tasks in my world, I'd be motivated to keep at this because I asked, you provided, and now it's a duty. When I ask, I do not normally anticipate I will get; it's a good way to separate the serious from the don't-really-care.

Thank you.

It just seems to me that out of simple respect for people's time and very hard-earned knowledge that providing best possible info should be a given.  I didn't provide accurate weight which in retrospect should have been a basic ingredient - a scale arrives on Friday!  I'm awed - not a word I use often - by help provided by yourself and a couple of local enthusiasts. In truth, I hadn't realised that the joy is in the chase, the detective work.

You're welcome. And you got it right. The joy is indeed in the chase, the deductive reasoning, the following up on a slight hunch based in some distant remembered sighting, and ultimately in presenting the most positive possible ID. That's what drives a lot of the antiquarians. If you figure out what the others are on which I fanned, please do let us know.