• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please indentifying ancient coins: 1 of 8

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

As a complete newbie, I would really appreciate any help identifying this coin.  There are 8 in total, separate emails.

COIN # 1

This one is (in millimeters):

Longest axis:     17.3

90° away:          16.8

Thickness:         1.8

My scales aren’t accurate enough to weigh it with any degree of certainty, but I’d guess ~3 grams.

The metal appears to be bronze.  Around 300AD, Emperor Constantine, perhaps?

2019-2-8 14-47-11.jpg

2019-2-8 14-47-23.jpg

I'll have to figure out what reverse has two kebabs. Probably is Constantine II, and I bet those are standards. See if you think the obverse legend is CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, or something like it. Reverse looks very much like Aorta reverse 73) for Con II: soldiers standing either side of standards. Does the exergue (bottom reverse) look like it says SMK_? Do you think the reverse legend is GLORIA EXERCITI? Bust is probably diademed (pearls; worn off), draped, cuirassed bust right. I make the denomination AE3, which I think is a half centenionalis.

Once you have solid reads on the legends, and a good idea of the devices, the next step is to go to Wildwinds. If you search through the Con II coins for AE3s that have those legends, you should find some that look like your coin. It will usually have a link with an idea of value, even though outdated.