• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New additions and growing photography frustrations

34 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, HipShot Photography said:

I'm a professional numismatic photographer. While every coin is different, there are three main techniques to photograph them. Axial Lighting, Offset Lighting and Natural Light.  The images below are samples of each technique.   See if you can figure out which is which and lets discuss the finer points of coin photography.

My guess is the top photo is natural light (diffused or a cloudy day), the middle is axial, and the last is offset.

4 hours ago, HipShot Photography said:

I'm a professional numismatic photographer. While every coin is different, there are three main techniques to photograph them. Axial Lighting, Offset Lighting and Natural Light.  The images below are samples of each technique.   See if you can figure out which is which and lets discuss the finer points of coin photography.

I don't know any of those terms, but whatever you did with the 1st coin (the PF 69 UC) the light altered the usual dark reflectivity and "blackness" of the fields.  The color looks like a satin proof Saint sort of.

Actually the basic lighting types are axial, direct, and indirect. ("Offset" just means "not axial" and "Natural" presumes the use of sunlight as opposed to an artificial light source. Both can be direct or indirect.)

Axial uses a beam splitter to align the light beam with the lens axis. This creates strong contrast between differences in relief.

Direct simply means aiming a light source at the subject with or without diffusion to smooth distribution.

Indirect lighting requires aiming the light sources at some surface which then lights the subject. Bounce and umbrella lighting are common examples. Reflective "flats" used in professional studio lighting are examples of indirect lighting.

The best coin lighting (assuming not in plastic slabs) is usually a combination of two lighting types. For coins and other reflective objects the lighting angle(s) is critical. Color of the subject or light is immaterial - it has no effect on lighting type.

Edited by RWB