• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 wheat penny appraisal

4 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

It may be hard to believe, considering the fact that the coin is over 70 years old, and pieces that old are almost never encountered in circulation any more, but, in the world of coins, it is common. Wheat cents are bought and sold by the thousands, and usually for 3 to 4 cents each, at most. Even if it were a scarce variety ,the scratches on both side would severely limit its value.

Cool find, though.

This is perhaps the most common topic on this forum (understandably) and I must admit I regret to see the bad news which applies 99.99% of the time.  I hope it does not frustrate the new guest/collector from the fun, history, and journey of exploring and collecting old coins. 

I still look at all my pocket change and set aside anything old.  Even though it's basically worth a few cents it's still super cool!  I think I found a pre-1920 wheat penny a few months ago.  Even though you can buy a complete set of Lincoln (less roughly 5 special coins) for a few hundred bucks, it's still a cool piece of history!  Think about the world in 1945, who may have had that coin in hand during the war, where did that coin travel?  Etc.

Unless someone destroys a coin, we are all just leasing them  :)