• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apollo 11 50th Ann. Proof HALF Dollar Set w/Kennedy reverse proof

5 posts in this topic

I"m wondering what you experienced people think of the Apollo 11 Half dollar Proof set, as far as being a good collectible to buy. I see it has a reverse proof Kennedy (S), but there's no silver content. Plus, they're minting 750,000 of them, which is a ton. I'm not sure if it's worth spending my hard earned money on them. Please  let me know your thoughts. 

BTW, the Mint just told me that the pricing will be out tomorrow at 3 PM for the gold coins. 

My comments in the previous thread apply here as well.  It's another fad.  It'll be blazing hot for five minutes then it will die.  The fact that the coins are both clad will likely kill it even faster as most collectors now want silver, and often not just any silver, .999 silver.  There are also two other Reverse Proof Kennedy Halves out there that both contain silver, so the 2019-S Kennedy is only unique in a negative way-it's the only non-silver Reverse Proof Kennedy half.  There will be Kennedy collectors that absolutely have to have everything that will want the 2019-S, but that's about it, I think, unless there's collectors out there that I don't know about doing clad type sets or that are attempting full sets of clad.  I doubt that there are.  And then there's the price......$53.95 for two clad coins and fancy packaging.  I've heard many collectors say that's a ridiculous price for a set with no silver whatsoever.  And one of those clad coins has a maximum mintage of 750,000 across all product options.  I think the main buyers for this will be flippers and they're going to get stuck with a lot of them.  Let me put it this way.....I sell a lot of modern coins, including better clads like 1979 and 1981-S Type 2 coins.  I'm not necessarily opposed to base metal coins either (my main series collecting pursuits are Ottoman Empire Nickel 5, 10, 20, and 40 Para coins.  No silver, but, man are they beautiful!).  I could be wrong but.........I do not plan to order any of the Apollo 11 coins for resale, including this set.  I don't want to be stuck with them.  As with the other Apollo 11 coins, if you like this set just because you like it, go for it.  But if you're looking for an investment, this is not the thing to buy.

Mohawk,

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It's appreciated. I agree that the price is absolutely ridiculous! It's just disappointing that the mint put's out these coins with no silver and then wants an obscene price. 

1 hour ago, investinrehabs said:

Mohawk,

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It's appreciated. I agree that the price is absolutely ridiculous! It's just disappointing that the mint put's out these coins with no silver and then wants an obscene price. 

No problem.  I just don't see a long term upside for any of these coins.  They're too gimmicky.